Boychuk headed to Austria's Red Bulls

671792.jpg

Boychuk headed to Austria's Red Bulls

Johnny Boychuk became the latest member of the Bruins to exit Boston for a hockey job overseas when he confirmed to CSNNE.com that hes signed with the Salzburg Red Bulls in the Austrian First Division Hockey League.

Boychuk becomes the 11th member of the Bruins the most of any NHL team -- to head over to Europe for a hockey job while the NHL and NHLPA have surpassed Day 60 of the NHL lockout in North America.

The Red Bulls boast former Bs goaltender Alex Auld on their roster, but it appears that Boychuk will be the first NHL refugee to sign on with Salzburg since the lockout.

Boychuk, ever the mirthful prankster, joked with CSNNE.com that hed signed with the Melbourne Down Unders before coming clean about his contract with the Red Bulls. The Boychuk signing in Europe means that four of Bostons six projected starting defensemen are currently playing in Europe, and the sixth Dougie Hamilton is still playing OHL junior hockey for the Niagara IceDogs.

That leaves Adam McQuaid as the only Bs blueliner that isnt currently experiencing game-intensity while getting ready for a potential shortened season. The 28-year-old Boychuk is entering the first year of a three-year, 10 million contract extension with the Bruins, and put up 15 points in 77 games for Boston last season.

Boychuk did have a scheduled appearance with Brad Marchand at a Providence Bruins game on Dec. 2, but it appears he wont be able to make that event. The defenseman is told CSNNE.com that he leaves right away for Austria, and probably wont be back until the dreaded lockout has finally ended.

Boychuk had been a staple at the morning skates in Boston among locked out Bruins players over the last two months, but their numbers had dwindled down to just Shawn Thornton, Mike Mottau and Daniel Paille skating with a handful of other NHL players on Friday.

As with all NHL skaters in Europe, Boychuk has an out clause in his deal that will allow him to return to Boston when the NHL regular season is ready to begin.

Andrew Benintendi leads Red Sox past Nationals in 8-1 win

Andrew Benintendi leads Red Sox past Nationals in 8-1 win

Andrew Benintendi excelled in his early-game action against Nationals starter Joe Ross in the Red Sox' 8-1 win. Benintendi finished the contest 2 of 2 with a triple and two RBIs. Dustin Pedroia helped Benintendi at the top of the lineup. Pedroia was 2 of 2 with a double and two RBIs.

Kyle Kendrick got the Red Sox pitching staff off to a strong start in his four-inning appearance. The 32-year-old righty had six strikeouts and allowed five hits with one earned run. Kendricks performance should ease some anxiety in Boston, as Drew Pomeranz headed to the disabled list.

Reliever Ben Taylor, 24, pitched the final two innings for the Sox, and had four strikouts with three hits allowed and no runs.

Chris Sale will pitch Friday for the Red Sox at 4:05 a.m against the Nationals.

Hernandez's fiancee: I learned to keep my mouth shut and not ask questions

shayanna-jenkins-hernandez-033017.jpg

Hernandez's fiancee: I learned to keep my mouth shut and not ask questions

BOSTON -- Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez's fiancee testified in his double-murder trial Thursday that she learned to keep her mouth shut and "not to ask any questions" in certain situations.

Shayanna Jenkins-Hernandez testified against Hernandez under a grant of immunity from prosecutors. She and Hernandez have a 4-year-old daughter. She said she took Hernandez's last name in 2015.

Hernandez is accused of fatally shooting two men in Boston in July 2012 after an encounter at a Boston nightclub. He is also charged with witness intimidation in the shooting of Alexander Bradley, allegedly to silence him about the killings.

Jenkins-Hernandez repeatedly said she could not recall details about conversations with Hernandez after the 2012 killings and after Bradley's shooting in 2013.

She said she didn't ask Hernandez for details about Bradley's shooting, even though Hernandez and Bradley were close friends.

"[Bradley] was not my friend . . . Yes, it's a sad situation [but] why should I press about something like that?" she said.

Jenkins-Hernandez also said she did not recall getting a call from Hernandez at 2:37 a.m. on July 16, 2012, minutes after prosecutors say Hernandez shot Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado as they sat in a car at a stop light in Boston. Prosecutors said phone records show a 17-second call from Hernandez to her at that time.

Hernandez has denied shooting the men. His lawyer told the jury during opening statements that Bradley shot the men over a drug deal.

Bradley testified he saw Hernandez shoot the men. He also said Hernandez shot him in the face months later after he made a remark about the Boston shootings.

Hernandez is already serving a life sentence after being convicted in the 2013 killing of a man who was dating the sister of Jenkins-Hernandez.