Mike Cameron, one of the most disappointing free-agent signings of Theo Epstein's reign as Red Sox general manager, was designated for assignment Thursday, ending a brief and unproductive 1 12-year Boston career.
Infielder Yamaico Navarro was recalled from Pawtucket to take his place on the roster. Navarro will wear No. 60.
Cameron, 38, was hitting .149 for the Sox this season with three home runs and nine runs-batted. It was hoped he would provide a right-handed boost to the lineup, particularly as a quasi-platoon partner with J.D. Drew in right field, but he never got untracked offensively and continued a downward defensive spiral that began when he signed with the Sox.
The Red Sox brought him on board in December 2009 and made him the starting center fielder, with Jacoby Ellsbury moving to left. But an abdominal injury suffered in spring training -- which resulted in his undergoing season-ending surgery in late August -- vastly diminished his Gold Glove-caliber skills in the outfield and limited him to 48 games, in which he hit .259 with 4 homers and 15 RBI.
The Red Sox owe Cameron approximately 4 milllion for the remainder of the season, the last of a two-year, 15.5 million deal.
Navarro, 23, made his major-league debut with the Sox last season and was hitting .258 with 5 homers and 13 RBI for Pawtucket this year. He has played all three outfield positions, along with second base, shortstop and third base, for the PawSox.
Big Papi's "spring training" involves a beach chair -- not a baseball bat.
The former Boston Red Sox slugger made it clear on Instagram that he has no interest in returning to Jet Blue Park to begin training for the 2017 MLB season.
He announced in Nov. 2015 he would be retiring after the 2016 season, and he appears completely content with that decision despite speculation of his return to MLB. Ortiz posted a video on Sunday of himself in a beach chair reclined and relaxed.
"What's up [Instagram]. Oh, so good be retired. At the beach with the familia, the ladies. Big Papi in the bulding. This is my spring training. How 'bout dat? Enjoy. See you when I see you. Peace," he said, and then chuckled.
Ortiz's video came a few days after Hanley Ramirez said that if Ortiz made a return to baseball, he would be doing it, in part, for Ramirez, because they miss each other.
WBZ's Dan Roche then tweeted out Ramirez's comment on Thursday, and Big Papi waited no time to respond. Within 16 minutes, Ortiz had responded to reiterate he would not be returning to the Sox.
Jackie Bradley Jr. will likely have a spotless attendance record for White House trips.
The Boston Red Sox outfielder began discussing those championship trips to meet the president after Red Sox chairman Tom Werner referenced the New England Patriots' Super Bowl win at a team get-together on Friday morning.
“If my team is going, yes, I’m going,” Bradley Jr. told WEEI.com's Rob Bradford, adding later, “I don’t like politics, not even a little bit.”
The Patriots so far have six players who have openly stated they will not attend New England's White House trip to meet President Donald Trump. Team leaders like Dont'a Hightower and Devin McCourty are among those unwilling to attend.
For Bradley, the White House trip is not about making a political statement.
“The reason why we’re going there is because we did something together as a team. The White House is cool,” he said. “I’m with my team."
The 26-year-old outfielder has twice attended the championship trip to the nation's capital. In college, he went with the South Carolina Gamecocks after they won the College World Series. He later attended with the Red Sox in 2013. Bradley Jr. said he enjoyed attending the White House to meet Barack Obama, but added he wasn't concerned with which president was hosting the event.
He said: “How many people can say they’ve been to the White House? That alone. There is a lot history there, and I’m a big fan of architecture. I think the whole thing is unique.”