Is Sandoval more of a social-media concern than Price?

pablo_sandoval_boston_red_sox_dugout.jpg

Is Sandoval more of a social-media concern than Price?

David Price’s social media activity was one of the notable frustrating points that surfaced during the 2016 Red Sox season. And it wasn’t just how active he was, but what he said.

At times it seemed like he was more concerned about winning the fans over as opposed to winning ballgames.

But, new season, new title and he has a full year of experience in Boston under his belt. And honestly, if he throws well and wins a playoff start in 2017, no one’s going to care how active his is on Twitter.

Besides, it turns out he’s not the only Red Sox player who spends a little too much time on social media.

Pablo Sandoval’s been praised during the early stages of the offseason for losing weight -- which he’s been updating everyone about online. It’s great to see he’s made progress. Hopefully that translates well to the field and sustains over 162 games.

But the subtle picture with his trainer to show off his progress?

Then there’re the Instagram posts of a workout. As much as Panda deserves credit for doing step-ups with 165 lbs on his back, does he need to show everyone?

Working out is a mandatory thing for all athletes -- they need to do it to get to the top, or stay there. Take Craig Kimbrel for example, he works out as soon as he finishes every outing. Players develop a routine and generally stick to it.

And this isn't saying players can't post about workouts -- plenty of people, both athletes and fans, do it and that's cool. But given the nature of Sandoval’s time so far in Boston, and that he admitted he was “complacent with things that I had already accomplished,” and that he “did not work hard to achieve more,” you have to wonder if there's another motive other than just being a good player.

This whole change in personality screams “I’ll train hard to make you happy.”

Whether that's the case or not, Sandoval needs to learn from Price's 2016 experience -- and maybe not check social media during games anymore, too.

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

red-sox-rusney-castillo-022417x.jpg

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

Click here for the complete gallery.

 

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

The Red Sox signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to a seven-year, $72.5 million contract bn August 2014. Over parts of three seasons, the 29-year-old has a .679 OPS across 337 plate appearances in the majors and spent the vast majority of the 2016 season at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo had a chance to start things off on the right foot in 2017, but that ship has already sailed. On Thursday against Northeastern at JetBlue Park, Castillo didn’t run out a routine ground ball. He claims he lost track of the outs. Manager John Farrell isn’t happy about the situation. Via Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald:

“Disappointing for a couple of reasons,” Sox manager John Farrell said. “One, he has lost the number of outs. Still, regardless of another of outs, getting down the line is controllable. And for a player in his situation, every little aspect of the game is important. That’s something that was addressed in the moment. He needs to execute the game situation. And for that matter, every player. But that one obviously stood out.”

Everyone always makes far too big a deal about running out grounders. It’s a real nit to pick when it’s February 23 and your team just finished playing an exhibition game that is even more meaningless than the other exhibition games that will be played in the coming month.

That being said, Castillo has to prove himself to merit inclusion on the 25-man roster and that means dotting all his i’s and crossing all his t’s. Even if he went hitless all spring, Castillo could have at least said he couldn’t have done anything else better. But on day one, he already gave his team a reason to count him out.