Same old, same old from JHW

881219.jpg

Same old, same old from JHW

In the past, I've given John Henry a hard time about his obsession with only conducting interviews over e-mail. My belief was, and is, that whole thing just seemed a little too calculated and controlled. Like most things associated with this ownership group, there was just something so distant and disingenuous about him only existing in cyber space.

I know he got a lot of flack for barging into the 98.5 studios that afternoon, but I loved seeing that from Henry. I wish he'd carry himself like that more often. Like a real person. With real emotions. With passion that goes beyond what can be expressed with different fonts and punctuation.

But with all that being said, Henry finally did speak today down in Fort Myers. He spoke REALLY spoke to reporters for the first time since the end of last season . . .

And it was a total let down.

Here's Henry on:

Rumors that the Sox are for sale: "The last 12 years have been the best years of my life," he said. "You just don't get an opportunity to own the Boston Red Sox, so as long as we can do it, the three of us (chairman Tom Werner and CEO Larry Lucchino) are committed to being here. These thoughts that we're somehow selling, those are just erroneous."

Liverpool: "Last year's losses on the field weren't the result of Liverpool . . . I would say that all three of us are intimately involved every day with everything that goes on in Fenway Sports Group."

The perception that the Sox are too PR conscious: "I have to laugh. That's just laughable. It's ludicrous to say we signed any player, since we've been here, for PR purposes. I don't think anybody would assert that. And if it's asserted, it's just ludicrous."

And those are the highlights. In other words, there were no highlights. He said nothing that we haven't heard before. Nothing that sheds light on what we didn't already know. Nothing to help Sox fans feel better about the direction of the team, because who's to say if he's even telling the truth.

It probably doesn't matter. When you think about it, is there anything that Henry can say to make this situation better? Short of "It's with a heavy heart that I announce that the Red Sox have parted way with Larry Lucchino," I don't think so.

The situation is beyond words and promises.

It won't get better until the Sox make it better on the field.

Regardless of anything Henry says to reporters or fires off from keyboard.

Unless he, Larry and Tom feel like filming a line-for-line recreation this video.

That's sure to win back some support. At least from me.

Rich can be reached at rlevine@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Rich on Twitter at http:twitter.comrich_levine

Moreland, Travis homer to lead Red Sox past Northeastern 9-6 in opener

Moreland, Travis homer to lead Red Sox past Northeastern 9-6 in opener

Mitch Moreland and Sam Travis hit three-run homers and left-hander Brian Johnson started and pitched two scoreless innings to help the Red Sox win their spring training opener, 9-6, over Northeastern University on Thursday in Fort Myers, Fla.

Johnson, who made one spot start in his MLB debut with the Red Sox in 2015 but then was derailed by injuries and anxiety issues last season, struck out three and walked one Thursday. He's expected to start the season at Triple-A Pawtucket, where he went 5-6 with a 4.44 ERA in 15 starts in 2016.

Moreland, the left-handed hitting first baseman signed to a one-year deal after spending his first seven seasons with the Texas Rangers, and Travis, a right-handed hitting first base prospect coming back from knee surgery last season, each hit three-run homers in a six-run third inning.

Pablo Sandoval, attempting to reclaim the third-base job after missing nearly all of last season after surgery on his left shoulder, went 1-for-2 with a double. 

The Red Sox open Grapefruit League play Friday afternoon when they host the New York Mets at JetBlue Park. 

Pedro Martinez talks about one of the greatest games he's ever pitched

baseballshowpod_pedro.png

Pedro Martinez talks about one of the greatest games he's ever pitched

CSN baseball analyst Lou Merloni sits down with Pedro Martinez and Red Sox hitting coach Chili Davis to discuss one of Pedro's greatest games. 

SUBSCRIBE Audioboom | iTunes | Stitcher | Spotify

On September 10, 1999 at the height of the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, Pedro Martinez struck out 17 Yankees in a complete game victory, with the only hit he allowed being a home run to Chili Davis. The two men recall that memorable night in the Bronx, and discuss the state of pitching in 2017.