Red Sox now wait for Cook's decison on opt-out

748377.jpg

Red Sox now wait for Cook's decison on opt-out

BOSTON -- The Red Sox allowed the May 1 midnight deadline on minor league pitcher Aaron Cook to come and go without purchasing his contract, which, in effect, puts the ball in Cook's court.

Cook has 24 hours -- or, until midnight Wednesday -- to inform the Red Sox whether he'll choose to opt out of his current minor league deal and become a free agent.

If he chooses to do so, the Sox will then have an additional 48 hours from the time they're notified to either release Cook or add him to the 25-man major league roster.

The Sox have informed Cook and his agent, Joe Bick, that they intend to pitch Cook out of the bullpen, at least for the time being. Cook, meanwhile, would prefer to start.

It's possible that should Cook wait until midnight Wednesday to inform the Red Sox of his decision to opt-out, that the pitcher could remain in limbo until midnight Friday -- or 48 hours from notification -- before the issue is resolved.

In the meantime, the Red Sox optioned Lars Anderson to Pawtucket after the game, signaling that a pitcher to replace him on the roster will be by game-time Wednesday.

The Sox earlier Tuesday optioned Junichi Tazawa to Pawtucket to create room for the addition of shortstop Jose Iglesias. The Sox felt they needed an extra infielder available to them to Tuesday night with Kevin Youkilis (back) still unable to play.

Manager Bobby Valentine had Youkilis with a bat in his hand on the top step in the ninth inning, but Valentine later admitted that Youkilis was just a decoy and was unable to hit.

If Youkilis has to go on the disabled list, the Sox would presumably replace him with Will Middlebrooks, who is off to a terrific start at Pawtucket.

Middlebrooks would have gotten the call Tuesday rather than Iglesias, but he had jammed his thumb in at-bat Sunday and the Red Sox wanted him to prove that he was healthy at Pawtucket before promoting him to Boston.

David Ortiz has new interpretation of 'spring training'

David Ortiz has new interpretation of 'spring training'

Big Papi's "spring training" involves a beach chair -- not a baseball bat.

The former Boston Red Sox slugger made it clear on Instagram that he has no interest in returning to Jet Blue Park to begin training for the 2017 MLB season.

He announced in Nov. 2015 he would be retiring after the 2016 season, and he appears completely content with that decision despite speculation of his return to MLB. Ortiz posted a video on Sunday of himself in a beach chair reclined and relaxed.

"What's up [Instagram]. Oh, so good be retired. At the beach with the familia, the ladies. Big Papi in the bulding. This is my spring training. How 'bout dat? Enjoy. See you when I see you. Peace," he said, and then chuckled.

Ortiz's video came a few days after Hanley Ramirez said that if Ortiz made a return to baseball, he would be doing it, in part, for Ramirez, because they miss each other.

WBZ's Dan Roche then tweeted out Ramirez's comment on Thursday, and Big Papi waited no time to respond. Within 16 minutes, Ortiz had responded to reiterate he would not be returning to the Sox.

Jackie Bradley Jr. explains why he wouldn't skip White House visit

Jackie Bradley Jr. explains why he wouldn't skip White House visit

Jackie Bradley Jr. will likely have a spotless attendance record for White House trips.

The Boston Red Sox outfielder began discussing those championship trips to meet the president after Red Sox chairman Tom Werner referenced the New England Patriots' Super Bowl win at a team get-together on Friday morning.

“If my team is going, yes, I’m going,” Bradley Jr. told WEEI.com's Rob Bradford, adding later, “I don’t like politics, not even a little bit.”

The Patriots so far have six players who have openly stated they will not attend New England's White House trip to meet President Donald Trump. Team leaders like Dont'a Hightower and Devin McCourty are among those unwilling to attend.

For Bradley, the White House trip is not about making a political statement.

“The reason why we’re going there is because we did something together as a team. The White House is cool,” he said. “I’m with my team."

The 26-year-old outfielder has twice attended the championship trip to the nation's capital. In college, he went with the South Carolina Gamecocks after they won the College World Series. He later attended with the Red Sox in 2013. Bradley Jr. said he enjoyed attending the White House to meet Barack Obama, but added he wasn't concerned with which president was hosting the event.

He said: “How many people can say they’ve been to the White House? That alone. There is a lot history there, and I’m a big fan of architecture. I think the whole thing is unique.”