Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Ross, Dice-K, Prior

754476.jpg

Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Ross, Dice-K, Prior

TORONTO Second baseman Dustin Pedroia left Mondays game after the fifth inning with a jammed right thumb and has not played since. For the first time since then, Pedroia took groundballs at second base before the start of Fridays game against the Blue Jays. Pedroia wore a modified splint on his right hand.

Before Pedroia went out to the field, manager Bobby Valentine said there was no timetable for Pedroias return to the lineup.

Just want to let nature takes its time, Valentine said.

While Pedroias on-field activities could be considered progress, it remains to be seen how his thumb responds to the work.

Outfielder Cody Ross, on the disabled list retroactive to May 19 with a fracture in his left navicular bone, will have his foot reexamined upon the teams return to Boston after the three-game series in Toronto.

He is eligible to be activated Sunday. Valentine said when Ross is activated he will probably need some rehab games.

Daisuke Matsuzaka took the loss Thursday as Triple-A Pawtucket fell to Norfolk, 2-0, Thursday. Matsuzaka went 5 13 innings, giving up a run on two hits with no walks and four strikeouts. The lone run came on Lew Fords first-inning home run.

Still, Valentine said the reports on Matsuzaka were favorable.

Reports were much better, valentine said. First-inning home run, up to 94 mph, sat at 91, changeup, worked quick with men on base.

Matsuzaka will stay with the PawSox as they travel for a four-game series to Lehigh Valley to do his side work. He is scheduled to make his next rehab start Tuesday, when the team returns to McCoy Stadium to host Indianapolis.

Outfielder Darnell McDonald, on the DL retroactive to May 12 with a right oblique strain, has resumed his rehab assignment with Pawtucket. He is expected to play with the PawSox through the weekend, Valentine said.

Right-hander Mark Prior has joined the PawSox. Valentine said Prior, who has yet to make an appearance in a game after working out at the organizations training complex in Fort Myers, would work strictly out of the bullpen.

Hes made constant progress, Valentine said. People have liked his attitude and throwing ability.

Prior, who will be 32 in September, has not appeared in the major leagues since 2006 with the Cubs. He was the Cubs' first-round pick (second overall behind the Twins' Joe Mauer) in 2001.

Boston pitchers strike out 14, but Red Sox still fall to Rays, 7-3

Boston pitchers strike out 14, but Red Sox still fall to Rays, 7-3

The appearance of Tampa Bay Rays lefty Ryan Yarbrough almost got the Boston Red Sox back in their spring training exhibition game. The Sox managed to score all three of their runs against the 25-year-old in their 7-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays at Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte, Florida on Sunday.

But the Rays, who scored runs in five different innings, managed to widen their lead in the eighth inning by beating up on Sox lefty Luis Isla, a 24-year-old who spent last season with Portland and Pawtucket. In the eighth, Rays' Joe McCarthy homered and Luke Maile managed an RBI single, which cappped off the scoring in the contest. Sox starter Hector Velazquez allowed three hits and an earned run in his two innnings. The 28-year-old, who spent 2016 in the Mexican League, still managed to amass four strikeouts.

"I was a little nervous at the start, being in the United States for the first time and playing for a big league club for the first time," Velazquez told RedSox.com through an interpreter. "But once I got the first out, all the nerves went away, and I was able to bear down."

Despite allowing two homers, Boston pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts.

With the exception of the Sox' inning against Yarbrough, Boston's veterans and prospects struggled mighltily against the Rays pitching staff. Chris Archer started for Tampa, and set the tone in the first two innings, where he threw two strikeouts, one walk and allowed one hit and no runs. Andrew Benintendi (0-for-3), Sam Travis (0-for-2) and Bryce Brentz (0-for-3) went hitless on the day. Travis, however, reached base on balls.

"I felt good. I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish," Archer said, via the Red Sox' team website. "Just out there having fun, it was really fun to be out there in the spectrum with the umpire, the fans, the batter. It was fun."

Marco Hernandez's triple got the Sox' eighth-inning off to a strong start, and singles from Matt Dominguez, Deven Marrero, Rusney Castillo and Cole Sturgeon followed. The Sox' eighth inning scoring ended after Castillo got thrown out by left fielder McCarthy at third. Six Red Sox finished with one-hit outings, including Brock Holt and Blake Swihart.

The Sox will next host the St. Louis Cardinals in Fort Myers on Monday at 1:05 p.m. ET.