Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Carpenter

872291.jpg

Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Carpenter

TORONTO -- After a three-day paternity leave to be with his wife Kelli for the birth of the second son, Dustin Pedroia rejoined the Sox lineup Saturday.

"They're good,'' declared Pedroia, who flew to Toronto Friday night. "We had the baby Thursday morning and she was in labor all night. But it was awesome. He's big -- he's almost nine pounds. Not much rest, but it was worth it.''

He left Wednesday's game against the Yankees when he learned that his wife had gone to the hosptial.

"She was having some problems the last couple of days,'' said Pedroia. "She was in so much pain that she had to go in. That's when Bobby (Valentine) came up to me (on the field). I thought he was going to yell at me because a line drive almost hit me in the
head. I thought he was going to joke around.

"But when he told me, I got nervous. He was all calm. He just came out and said it. He was all calm about it. I was like, 'Bobby, just spit it out.' He was like, 'Oh, she's in the hospital.'
I kind of panicked. But it all worked out. I got to experience the whole thing this time. It was crazy.''

Pedroia was hitting third in the lineup Saturday. Before he left, Pedroia had hit three homers in his previous five games. Since Aug. 5, Pedroia is hitting .381, tops in the majors for that span and has reached safely in 37 of his last 39 games dating back to August 1.

Chris Carpenter earned his first major league win Friday night, stranding a runner to finish the eighth inning in the Red Sox' 8-5 victory over the Blue Jays.

Over his first four appearances with the Sox since being recalled from Pawtucket, Carpenter has pitched 3 13 scoreless innings.

"He's pitched very well since he's been here,'' said Valentine. "I've been impressed with his velocity and his breaking ball and his re-set command. He'll fire one that looks like it really got away from him and he'll come back right back and make a real good pitch.

"Right now, he seems very good. There's nothing not to like so far.''

Betts and Bradley Jr. combine for seven RBI, Red Sox roll to 9-2 win

red_sox_mookie_betts_032817.jpg

Betts and Bradley Jr. combine for seven RBI, Red Sox roll to 9-2 win

The Boston Red Sox put up six runs in the first inning and coasted to a 9-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Tuesday night.

Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley Jr. led the way for the Red Sox with four and three RBI respectfully. Both outfielders had two-run home runs in the Sox’ big first inning.

Knuckleballer Steven Wright gave up one earned run in four innings, his ERA for the spring is now 0.68.

The Red Sox are back in action again on Wednesday at 1:05 p.m when Rick Porcello makes his final spring training start against the Minnesota Twins.

Hernandez has chance at Red Sox opening day roster after Rutledge injury

Hernandez has chance at Red Sox opening day roster after Rutledge injury

Infielder Marco Hernandez may make the Red Sox roster after all.

Fellow infielder Josh Rutledge, the presumptive 25th man on the Red Sox, suffered a left hamstring strain on Tuesday against the Pirates, according to reporters in Florida, including Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald.

If Rutledge isn’t ready for opening day, Hernandez, a left-handed hitter, may have his crack. 

The question is whether the Sox would be comfortable without a right-handed bat to complement both Pablo Sandoval and Mitch Moreland on the corners. Rutledge was going to give the Sox that right-handed look they sought. (When Hanley Ramirez's shoulder will be healthy enough to play first base is unclear, but isn't expected to be too long.)

Neither Rutledge nor Hernandez has played first base in the majors or minors.

A big-league rookie last year, Hernandez has done decently against lefties at the upper levels of the minors, hitting .328 vs. them at Triple-A Pawtucket last season in 67 at-bats. He hit .315 in 54 at-bats at Pawtucket, with a .318 average against them that season in 88 at-bats for Double-A Portland.

Rutledge is a Rule 5 draft pick who has to remain on the major league 25-man roster the whole season or the Sox risk losing him. Placement on the disabled list doesn’t affect his status unless he’s on the disabled list for a very lengthy time.

An alternative option is Steve Selsky, who has first-base experience, but he's already been optioned.