Red Sox let go of coaching staff assistant Rob Leary

Red Sox let go of coaching staff assistant Rob Leary

By Maureen Mullen
CSNNE.com Follow @maureenamullen

BOSTON -- Rob Leary is the second Red Sox coach to be let go this week. Leary, who had been with the organization for 10 seasons, served the last two years as the major league coaching staff assistant.

Leary, 47, joined the Sox as a roving minor league catching instructor in 2002. From 2003 2009 he was the organizations minor league field coordinator before being promoted to the major league staff in November 2009. His contract was up at the end of the 2011 season and will not be renewed.

Im very disappointed, Leary said. Its disappointing having 10 years in the organization and not being able to continue. I feel like I had an exemplary work record and was able to work with all the players on the major league roster, from working with them in the low minor leagues and watching them develop and go on to the major league team. Im disappointed that I wont be able to see that through on the major league level. But I understand. Its been a great 10 years and I saw a lot of tremendous progress in the organization, from 2002 to 2009, when I joined the big league team.

I definitely intend to stay in baseball and have already been in contact with some teams. Id like to find the best situation and the most meaningful situation. Im looking forward to the next challenge.

Leary was a 12th-round pick of the Expos in 1986 and spent five seasons on Montreals organization. He coached in the Expos system from 1990 - 1995. He spent seven seasons coaching the Marlins organization, from 1995 2001, before joining the Red Sox.

In 2005, Leary received the Sox Edward F. Kenney player development award, recognizing the dedication, success, and work ethics of Red Sox baseball operations personnel.

With the Sox Leary was responsible for organizing spring training workouts, helping the coaching staff in all pregame on-field activities, assisting with advance scouting, and working on in-game assignments from former manager Terry Francona. Leary also served as first base coach at the end off the 2010 season when Ron Johnson had to leave the team at the beginning of August after his youngest child had been in a life-threatening accident.

Johnson was let go earlier this week. His contract was also up at the end of 2011 and is not being renewed. Johnson, with 12 seasons, and Leary, with 10 seasons, had the longest continuous tenures with the organization on the major league staff.

Maureen Mullen is on Twitter at http:twitter.commaureenamullen

Boston pitchers strike out 14, but Red Sox still fall to Rays, 7-3

Boston pitchers strike out 14, but Red Sox still fall to Rays, 7-3

The appearance of Tampa Bay Rays lefty Ryan Yarbrough almost got the Boston Red Sox back in their spring training exhibition game. The Sox managed to score all three of their runs against the 25-year-old in their 7-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays at Charlotte Sports Park in Port Charlotte, Florida on Sunday.

But the Rays, who scored runs in five different innings, managed to widen their lead in the eighth inning by beating up on Sox lefty Luis Isla, a 24-year-old who spent last season with Portland and Pawtucket. In the eighth, Rays' Joe McCarthy homered and Luke Maile managed an RBI single, which cappped off the scoring in the contest. Sox starter Hector Velazquez allowed three hits and an earned run in his two innnings. The 28-year-old, who spent 2016 in the Mexican League, still managed to amass four strikeouts.

"I was a little nervous at the start, being in the United States for the first time and playing for a big league club for the first time," Velazquez told RedSox.com through an interpreter. "But once I got the first out, all the nerves went away, and I was able to bear down."

Despite allowing two homers, Boston pitchers combined for 14 strikeouts.

With the exception of the Sox' inning against Yarbrough, Boston's veterans and prospects struggled mighltily against the Rays pitching staff. Chris Archer started for Tampa, and set the tone in the first two innings, where he threw two strikeouts, one walk and allowed one hit and no runs. Andrew Benintendi (0-for-3), Sam Travis (0-for-2) and Bryce Brentz (0-for-3) went hitless on the day. Travis, however, reached base on balls.

"I felt good. I accomplished what I wanted to accomplish," Archer said, via the Red Sox' team website. "Just out there having fun, it was really fun to be out there in the spectrum with the umpire, the fans, the batter. It was fun."

Marco Hernandez's triple got the Sox' eighth-inning off to a strong start, and singles from Matt Dominguez, Deven Marrero, Rusney Castillo and Cole Sturgeon followed. The Sox' eighth inning scoring ended after Castillo got thrown out by left fielder McCarthy at third. Six Red Sox finished with one-hit outings, including Brock Holt and Blake Swihart.

The Sox will next host the St. Louis Cardinals in Fort Myers on Monday at 1:05 p.m. ET.