You can bet that when David Ortiz isn't happy, everyone is going to hear about it. And right now the big guy isn't smiling.
The Red Sox have lost 12 of 15, have traded away several veterans and the roster shakeup doesn't seem to have improved the team's performance.
That makes for an unhappy Papi.
“We’re just not here to collect numbers and paychecks," said Ortiz. "We’re here to win like we did last year. That’s when baseball is fun. It’s tough for a guy like [Dustin] Pedroia not to be able to play for something. That’s what we do. I think Ben [Cherington] has done a good job with the moves he’s made so far. I told them after last year that we needed power. I suggested Nelson Cruz, but I’m sure they had their reasons not to sign him, but he’s the big reason why Baltimore is in first place.”
Cruz, fresh off his PED suspension in 2013, signed a one-year deal with the Orioles and has been a monster this season. Coming into Friday's action, Cruz had 29 homers and 77 RBI. His bat would undoubtedly have helped Boston's offensive struggle, though it would have been interesting to see how he and John Lackey would have co-existed in the clubhouse. Lackey has been outspoken against players with PED histories, including comments made about Cruz earlier this season.
Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam says we can expect to hear plenty more from Papi as the season draws to a slow and agonizing close.
"Comments from Ortiz are likely to pop up more frequently in the final six weeks as the frustration level grows with the losses," says McAdam. "It’s not likely to get better any time soon as the Red Sox continue to take a look at unproven, young players here in the final month and a half to see what they have going forward for 2015. That may be tough going for players like Ortiz and Dustin Pedroia, who until 2012 were used to either being in the postseason every year or contending. That’s far from the case this season."
Any thoughts, David?