Ortiz looking to stay with Red Sox beyond 2014

Ortiz looking to stay with Red Sox beyond 2014
November 21, 2013, 7:15 am
Share This Post

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- David Ortiz, who has one year remaining on the contract he signed with the Red Sox last offseason, says he hopes to renew the deal beyond 2014.

The 38-year-old said in a news conference Wednesday in the Dominican Republic that he will keep playing as long as he feels physically healthy.

Ortiz won the World Series MVP award last month after reaching base in 11 of 16 at-bats with two home runs and six RBIs.

He had a .309 average with 30 homers, 70 extra-base hits and 103 RBI in 137 games last season.