Notes: Albers, Reyes not sharp before final cuts

191542.jpg

Notes: Albers, Reyes not sharp before final cuts

By SeanMcAdam
CSNNE.com

SARASOTA, Fla. -- While emphasizing that the remaining relievers aren't in a "pitch-off,'' the Red Sox had to be monitoring the work of both Matt Albers and Dennys Reyes against the O's.

Neither was particularly sharp.

Albers walked two and gave up a run. The walks were the first of the spring for Albers, who had previously made eight appearances, covering 11 13 innings without issuing a walk.

"I think I was just overthrowing a hair,'' he said. "I was cutting the ball off just a little bit. I wasn't missing by much. Maybe I was trying to be a little too fine and just missed down a little bit.''

"He's had good life in the strike zone every time he's pitched.'' said Francona. "He's been very consistent. He's done exactly what we hoped he would do.''

Albers knows roster decisions are coming, but by now is accustomed to the process.

"I've been through last-minute roster cuts before,'' said Albers. "The last few years in Baltimore, I didn't find out I made the team until the last couple of days. It's in the back of your head that it's coming up pretty soon, but you try to put that out of your mind and go out there and pitch.''

Reyes walked the first batter he faced, then gave up a single to Brian Roberts before getting a lineout and a double play.

"I started a little rusty because the mound in the bullpen is way too high,'' Reyes said. "I got out to the mound in the field and it felt like I was throwing uphill.''

Like Albers, Reyes is patiently expecting word on his fate.

"I'm waiting,'' he said. "I think I'm ready to go. Hopefully, I make it.''

Francona hinted that the Red Sox could make their final roster cuts Monday.

The Sox have 31 players in camp, though a handful -- including Paul Hoover, Drew Sutton, Nate Spears -- have been told they won't be making the club.

Francona and many of the players will be leaving Fort Myers at 7 a.m. Monday morning for a 2 12-hour bus ride to Dunedin, making it difficult for the manager to meet with players who are being optioned out or releases.

But the Sox want to avoid postponing the cuts until Tuesday morning, hours before the team charters to Houston for an exhibition game en route to Friday's season opener in Arlington, Texas.

The Sox worst-ever spring losing streak stretched to 10 with a 4-3 loss to the Orioles.

J.D. Drew hit a two-run homer in the third and Drew Sutton delivered a run-scoring triple, but the Sox allowed three runs in the botom of the eighth to wipe out a 3-1 lead.

Youre talking to a guy who cheats when hes playing his kids in Monopoly,'' said Francona, "so I want to win. But we wouldnt have brought in minor-league pitcher Santos) Luis who gave up with the winning runs, if it had been a crucial game. You try and do what youre supposed to do, and you always just want to play the game right. I think we would all rather win than lose. I dont think its creating an atmosphere of panic.

Jason Varitek caught Jon Lester in the camp game and went 0-for-3 . . . Lester's pitching line in the camp game: 5 IP, 9 H, 5 R 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K. 77 pitches, 50 strikes . . . Kevin Youkilis and Carl Crawford will play in a minor-league game there Monday . . . John Lackey will make his final start of the spring in Dunedin agaist the Blue Jays while Jonathan Papelbon and Daniel Bard will pitch in a minor-league game in Fort Myers.

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com.Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam

MLB players' union agrees to pitchless intentional walks

MLB players' union agrees to pitchless intentional walks

NEW YORK - There won't be any wild pitches on intentional walks this season.

The players' association has agreed to Major League Baseball's proposal to have intentional walks without pitches this year.

"It doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I know they're trying to cut out some of the fat. I'm OK with that," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said.

While the union has resisted many of MLB's proposed innovations, such as raising the bottom of the strike zone, installing pitch clocks and limiting trips to the mound, players are willing to accept the intentional walk change.

"As part of a broader discussion with other moving pieces, the answer is yes," union head Tony Clark wrote Wednesday in an email to The Associated Press. "There are details, as part of that discussion, that are still being worked through, however."

The union's decision was first reported by ESPN .

"I'm OK with it. You signal. I don't think that's a big deal," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "For the most part, it's not changing the strategy, it's just kind of speeding things up. I'm good with it."

There were 932 intentional walks last year, including 600 in the National League, where batters are walked to bring the pitcher's slot to the plate.

"You don't want to get your pitcher out of a rhythm, and when you do the intentional walk, I think you can take a pitcher out of his rhythm," Girardi said. "I've often wondered why you don't bring in your shortstop and the pitcher stand at short. Let the shortstop walk him. They're used to playing catch more like that than a pitcher is."

Agreement with the union is required for playing rules changes unless MLB gives one year advance notice, in which case it can unilaterally make alterations. Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred expressed hope Tuesday that ongoing talks would lead to an agreement on other changes but also said clubs would reserve the right to act unilaterally, consistent with the rule-change provision of the sport's labor contract.

Some changes with video review can be made unilaterally, such as shortening the time to make a challenge.

"I know they were thinking about putting in a 30-second (limit) for managers to make a decision," Francona said. "I actually wish they would. I think it would hustle it up and if we can't tell in 30 seconds, maybe we shouldn't be doing it anyway."

Bean: There's no way to spin a potential Ortiz return as a bad idea

Bean: There's no way to spin a potential Ortiz return as a bad idea

As if there weren’t enough storylines with the 2017 Red Sox, there figures to be the lingering possibility that, at any point, one of the franchise’s greatest hitters will return to make a push for his fourth World Series title.

As Pedro Martinez keeps saying, he won’t believe David Ortiz is retired until season’s end.

And with that possibility comes a good ol’ fashioned sports debate: You’re maybe the biggest lunatic in the whole wide world if you’re hoping for the latter.

There are exactly two potential downsides to Ortiz coming back. One is that the team would be worse defensively if it puts Hanley Ramirez in the field, a tradeoff that seemingly anyone would take if it meant adding Ortiz’ offense to the middle of the order. The other is that we would probably have to see Kenan Thompson’s Ortiz impression again . . . which, come to think of it, would be the worst. Actually, I might kill myself if that happens.  

All the other drawbacks are varying degrees of noise. It basically boils down to the “what if he isn’t good?” fear. Which may be valid, but it shouldn’t be reason enough to not want him to attempt a comeback.

Ortiz is coming off a 38-homer, 127-RBI 2016 in which he hit .315 with a league-best 1.021 OPS. It's probably the best final season of any hitter over the last 50 years.

We also know Ortiz is 41 and dealt with ankle and heel injuries so vast in recent years that he was “playing on stumps,” according to Red Sox coordinator of sports medicine services Dan Dyrek. There is the possibility that he was almost literally on his last legs in 2016 and that he doesn’t have another great season in him.

Unless Ortiz is medically incapable and/or not interested in returning, what would the harm be in rolling the dice? Is it a money thing? It really depends on just how intent the Sox are on staying under the luxury-tax threshold, but it’s hard to imagine that holding them up given that they’ve bobbed over and under the line throughout the years.

The one unacceptable argument is the legacy stuff, which expresses concern that Ortiz would tarnish his overall body of work if he came back for one last season and was relatively ineffective.  

If you think that five years after Ortiz is done playing, a single person will say, “Yeah, he’s a Hall of Famer; it’s just a shame he came back that for one last season,” you’re absolutely crazy. The fact that one could dwell that much on a legacy shows how much they romanticize the player, meaning that in however many years it's the 40-homer seasons, and not the potentially underwhelming few months in 2017, that will stand the test of time.

But he’ll have thrown away having one of the best final seasons ever for a hitter.

Oh man. That’s a life-ruiner right there. A 10-time All-Star and three-time World Series champion totally becomes just another guy if you take that away.

Plus, the fact that he’s a DH limits how bad it could really be. You won’t get the sight of an over-the-hill Willie Mays misplaying fly balls in the 1973 World Series after hitting .211 in the regular season. Ortiz will either be able to hit or he won’t, and if it’s the latter they’ll chalk it up to age and injuries and sit him down. Any potential decision to put him on the field in a World Series would likely mean his bat was worth it enough to get them to that point.

The Red Sox, on paper at least, have a real shot at another title. Teams in such a position should always go for broke. Ortiz has absolutely nothing left to prove, but if he thinks he has anything left to give, nobody but the fans who dropped 30-something bucks on T-shirts commemorating his retirement should have a problem with that.