CSNNE.com's Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam alongside Jessica Moran and Lou Merloni discuss how they see the new members of the Red Sox fitting in.
"I think what's going to be interesting Jess is watching this team sort of form its own personality. And that's going to take a while," McAdam said. "It's not necessarily going to happen down here over the next five or six weeks. It'll be probably April, May before we finally see that personality emerge.
There are certainly lots of new faces in the organization, but Merloni is particularly interested in one that's been around the team for a bit -- Daniel Bard.
Merloni wants to see how Bard performs this spring, and if he'll find a spot on the Sox roster or back down in Pawtucket.
As far as the Sox chances for postseason contention, both McAdam and Merloni admit that a lot will have to go right in order for that to happen.
Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.
"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."
No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .
. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.
Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.
Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.
Terms of the deals were not announced.
It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.