Red Sox president and CEO Larry Lucchino said Saturday afternoon that ownership was unaware pitchers Josh Beckett, John Lackey, Jon Lester, Tim Wakefield and Clay Buchholz appeared in country singer Kevin Fowler's "Hell, Yeah, I Like Beer" video, and that permission would have been denied by the owners had they been asked.
But Lucchino admits "someone in the organization had to allow it to happen." He said the owners first became aware of the video -- which was released in mid-July and featured on several Boston media sites at the time -- on Friday.
"It was not the type of thing" that would be brought to the level of ownership for permission, said Lucchino, who added: "But when theyre wearing the uniform and taking shots at Fenway Park, that is something that should be approved by the organization by going through proper channels. That did not happen. If you look at the video, which I did for the first time Friday, youll see that their role in it is minute. But nonetheless, it does have a shot of them in Red Sox uniforms."
In the video, there are shots of Beckett, Buchholz, Lackey, Lester and Wakefield, in uniform, standing in front of Fenway's left-field wall, lip-synching to Fowler's song.
Lucchino also said he and the Red Sox organization are trying to focus on their on-field product instead of off-field problems.
"As much of a violation as clubhouse drinking would be during the course of games, I do think theres a danger that were leaping to conclusions about how extensive, how pervasive this was,"said Lucchino. "I worry that it could be a distraction preventing us from getting to the underlying root causes of the historic September collapse."
The Boston Red Sox put up six runs in the first inning and coasted to a 9-2 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates on Tuesday night.
Mookie Betts and Jackie Bradley Jr. led the way for the Red Sox with four and three RBI respectfully. Both outfielders had two-run home runs in the Sox’ big first inning.
Knuckleballer Steven Wright gave up one earned run in four innings, his ERA for the spring is now 0.68.
The Red Sox are back in action again on Wednesday at 1:05 p.m when Rick Porcello makes his final spring training start against the Minnesota Twins.
Infielder Marco Hernandez may make the Red Sox roster after all.
Fellow infielder Josh Rutledge, the presumptive 25th man on the Red Sox, suffered a left hamstring strain on Tuesday against the Pirates, according to reporters in Florida, including Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald.
If Rutledge isn’t ready for opening day, Hernandez, a left-handed hitter, may have his crack.
The question is whether the Sox would be comfortable without a right-handed bat to complement both Pablo Sandoval and Mitch Moreland on the corners. Rutledge was going to give the Sox that right-handed look they sought. (When Hanley Ramirez's shoulder will be healthy enough to play first base is unclear, but isn't expected to be too long.)
Neither Rutledge nor Hernandez has played first base in the majors or minors.
A big-league rookie last year, Hernandez has done decently against lefties at the upper levels of the minors, hitting .328 vs. them at Triple-A Pawtucket last season in 67 at-bats. He hit .315 in 54 at-bats at Pawtucket, with a .318 average against them that season in 88 at-bats for Double-A Portland.
Rutledge is a Rule 5 draft pick who has to remain on the major league 25-man roster the whole season or the Sox risk losing him. Placement on the disabled list doesn’t affect his status unless he’s on the disabled list for a very lengthy time.
An alternative option is Steve Selsky, who has first-base experience, but he's already been optioned.