Lackey lashes out at media getting too personal

191542.jpg

Lackey lashes out at media getting too personal

By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com Red Sox Insider Follow @sean_mcadam

UPDATED, 5:49 A.M. -- The non-sports site TMZ reported overnight Sunday that John Lackey has filed for divorce against his wife Krista, which may have prompted Lackey's outburst (see below).
NEW YORK -- In another bizarre postgame meltdown with the media, John Lackey again warned the media to stay out of his private life after the Red Sox' 7-4 extra-inning victory over the Yankees.

Lackey, more combative than usual with reporters, took issue with the first question which suggested he had survived a "rocky" first inning in which he allowed three runs to then pitch five-plus scoreless innings.

"Let's be honest -- one time," snapped Lackey.

After answering another question brusquely, Lackey went on a monologue.

"Let me tell you the truth," he began. "Thirty minutes before the game, I got a text message on my cell phone from one of you . . . somebody in the media . . . talking about personal stuff. And I shouldn't even be standing up here, having to deal with this.

"I'm sitting here listening to music. I don't know who got my phone number. That's over the line."

Asked if the text had come from someone covering the series, Lackey said: "We'll find out."

Asked by a reporter if the text message distracted him before his start, Lackey shook his head and mumbled: "It's unbelievable that I have to deal with this."

It appears that the text message in question was sent from a non-sports web site.

Earlier in the season, following a poor start in Toronto, a similarly agitated Lackey claimed: "Basically, everything in my life sucks right now."

Sean McAdam can be reached at smcadam@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sean on Twitter at http:twitter.comsean_mcadam.

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

red-sox-rusney-castillo-022417x.jpg

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

Click here for the complete gallery.

 

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

The Red Sox signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to a seven-year, $72.5 million contract bn August 2014. Over parts of three seasons, the 29-year-old has a .679 OPS across 337 plate appearances in the majors and spent the vast majority of the 2016 season at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo had a chance to start things off on the right foot in 2017, but that ship has already sailed. On Thursday against Northeastern at JetBlue Park, Castillo didn’t run out a routine ground ball. He claims he lost track of the outs. Manager John Farrell isn’t happy about the situation. Via Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald:

“Disappointing for a couple of reasons,” Sox manager John Farrell said. “One, he has lost the number of outs. Still, regardless of another of outs, getting down the line is controllable. And for a player in his situation, every little aspect of the game is important. That’s something that was addressed in the moment. He needs to execute the game situation. And for that matter, every player. But that one obviously stood out.”

Everyone always makes far too big a deal about running out grounders. It’s a real nit to pick when it’s February 23 and your team just finished playing an exhibition game that is even more meaningless than the other exhibition games that will be played in the coming month.

That being said, Castillo has to prove himself to merit inclusion on the 25-man roster and that means dotting all his i’s and crossing all his t’s. Even if he went hitless all spring, Castillo could have at least said he couldn’t have done anything else better. But on day one, he already gave his team a reason to count him out.