Iglesias sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket

707512.jpg

Iglesias sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket

BOSTON The Red Sox made a flurry of roster moves before Wednesdays loss to the As. They added another on Thursdays off-day, sending shortstop Jose Iglesias back to Triple-A Pawtucket.

The move clears space on the 25-man roster for right-hander Aaron Cook who is scheduled to start Saturday against the Os. However, the Sox will still need to clear room on the 40-man roster for Cook. A possibility is to move left fielder Carl Crawford from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day DL.

Iglesias had been called up Tuesday, arriving in the Fenway Park clubhouse at about 4:30 p.m.

Third baseman Will Middlebrooks, who was called up Wednesday, would have gotten the call on Tuesday instead of Iglesias. But after fouling a ball off his leg in consecutive games and tweaking his thumb in an at-bat, he got a day off on Monday, and the organization wanted him to play for Pawtucket Tuesday, proving he was healthy enough for the call-up.

Iglesias did not play either Tuesday or Wednesday. The defensive whiz has appeared in 22 games for the first-place (16-11) PawSox this season, batting .200 (17-for-85), with a double, five RBI, 10 runs scored, eight walks, 16 strikeouts, and four stolen bases.

Iglesias, the native of Cuba who turned 22 in January, signed with the Sox as an international free agent in September 2009. He made his big league debut last season, appearing in 10 games, going 2-for-6 with three runs scored. He played 18 23 innings at short over eight games, one start, handling his five chances without an error.

Middlebrooks made his major league debut Wednesday, starting at third base in place of Kevin Youkilis was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a low back strain. Batting eighth, Middlebrooks went 2-for-3 with a walk, a strikeout, and a stolen base.

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

red-sox-rusney-castillo-022417x.jpg

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

Click here for the complete gallery.

 

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

The Red Sox signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to a seven-year, $72.5 million contract bn August 2014. Over parts of three seasons, the 29-year-old has a .679 OPS across 337 plate appearances in the majors and spent the vast majority of the 2016 season at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo had a chance to start things off on the right foot in 2017, but that ship has already sailed. On Thursday against Northeastern at JetBlue Park, Castillo didn’t run out a routine ground ball. He claims he lost track of the outs. Manager John Farrell isn’t happy about the situation. Via Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald:

“Disappointing for a couple of reasons,” Sox manager John Farrell said. “One, he has lost the number of outs. Still, regardless of another of outs, getting down the line is controllable. And for a player in his situation, every little aspect of the game is important. That’s something that was addressed in the moment. He needs to execute the game situation. And for that matter, every player. But that one obviously stood out.”

Everyone always makes far too big a deal about running out grounders. It’s a real nit to pick when it’s February 23 and your team just finished playing an exhibition game that is even more meaningless than the other exhibition games that will be played in the coming month.

That being said, Castillo has to prove himself to merit inclusion on the 25-man roster and that means dotting all his i’s and crossing all his t’s. Even if he went hitless all spring, Castillo could have at least said he couldn’t have done anything else better. But on day one, he already gave his team a reason to count him out.