BOSTON -- Six players who were part of the Red Sox when the team last played were gone Friday, and a handful of others had arrived in their place. There were more roster transactions than John Farrell could keep track of, so much so that it took Farrell fully 15 minutes into his pregame media session to mention that two relievers had been promoted from Pawtucket.
But, Farrell emphasized, despite all the comings and goings, one thing hadn't changed.
"It's important to know that we're not in a development phase,'' said the manager. "With the players we've been able to bring back (in the trades on Deadline Day), this isn't a prospect-laden situation where it's about getting exposure for young players. We've added established major league players, so our intent, our goal every night is to go out and win.''
The starting rotation will be far less experienced with the departures of Jon Lester and John Lackey, following the trade of Jake Peavy last weekend.
But even with untested pitchers, the expectations don't change.
"More than anything,'' said Farrell, "where we are in the standings (12 1/2 games out, last place in the division) is unacceptable. That's why changes were made.''