Buchholz on 15-day DL with 'gastrointestinal situation'

797152.jpg

Buchholz on 15-day DL with 'gastrointestinal situation'

BOSTON The Red Sox placed pitcher Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list with what manager Bobby Valentine called a gastrointestinal situation.

Valentine said Buchholz was healthy in his last start, a win Tuesday against the Marlins, and the day after, "and then he started feeling something."

"I havent gotten a lot of information exactly about how it happened, whatever happened," Valentine said. "We may have more later."

Valentine said he was hopeful of getting Buchholz back after 15 days.

Buchholz will likely be placed on the DL retroactive to June 20, which would make him eligible to be activated on July 5, an off-day. The Red Sox host the Yankees for a four-game series beginning July 6, including a July 7 doubleheader.

Aaron Cook will take Buchholzs scheduled start in Sundays series finale against the Braves. Cook had been on the 15-day disabled list since May 6 with a left knee laceration. He suffered the injury when he was spiked covering home plate on a passed ball in the second inning of the May 5 game against the Orioles. He stayed in the game but lasted just 2 23 innings, giving up seven runs (six earned) on eight hits and walk, taking the loss. It was his only major league start this season.

In one rehab start since then, Cook pitched four innings Monday in Syracuse for Triple-A Pawtucket, giving up three runs on seven hits and a walk with three strikeouts. He was scheduled to start Saturday but was pulled before the game because of Buchholzs status.

What can the Sox expect from Cook today?

After 66 pitches in his last game we probably could build on that but I dont think we could double it, Valentine said.

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

red-sox-rusney-castillo-022417x.jpg

Biggest Red Sox busts in recent memory

Click here for the complete gallery.

 

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

Farrell angered after Castillo fails to run out grounder

The Red Sox signed Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to a seven-year, $72.5 million contract bn August 2014. Over parts of three seasons, the 29-year-old has a .679 OPS across 337 plate appearances in the majors and spent the vast majority of the 2016 season at Triple-A Pawtucket.

Castillo had a chance to start things off on the right foot in 2017, but that ship has already sailed. On Thursday against Northeastern at JetBlue Park, Castillo didn’t run out a routine ground ball. He claims he lost track of the outs. Manager John Farrell isn’t happy about the situation. Via Evan Drellich of the Boston Herald:

“Disappointing for a couple of reasons,” Sox manager John Farrell said. “One, he has lost the number of outs. Still, regardless of another of outs, getting down the line is controllable. And for a player in his situation, every little aspect of the game is important. That’s something that was addressed in the moment. He needs to execute the game situation. And for that matter, every player. But that one obviously stood out.”

Everyone always makes far too big a deal about running out grounders. It’s a real nit to pick when it’s February 23 and your team just finished playing an exhibition game that is even more meaningless than the other exhibition games that will be played in the coming month.

That being said, Castillo has to prove himself to merit inclusion on the 25-man roster and that means dotting all his i’s and crossing all his t’s. Even if he went hitless all spring, Castillo could have at least said he couldn’t have done anything else better. But on day one, he already gave his team a reason to count him out.