By Sean McAdam
CSNNE.com Red Sox Insider Follow @sean_mcadam
TORONTO -- The Red Sox released a statement from Dr. Tom Gill Tuesday evening regarding Josh Beckett and his examination earlier Tuesday in Boston.
"Josh was evaluated today at the Massachusetts General Hospital by the Red Sox medical staff, including team foot and ankle specialist, Dr. George Theodore.
"Josh experienced pain in his ankle while pitching last night. His examination was consistent with an ankle sprain. An MRI was performed that confirmed no other injury to his ankle tendons, or his Achilles tendon. We will re-evaluate his symptoms and availability later this week."
It appears as though the injury to Beckett was, indeed, minor. He will be skipped in his next turn through the rotation, but could return to the mound next week when the team returns from its current homestand.
Terry Francona wouldn't say how long Beckett would be out of action though.
"I don't think we really need to speculate," said Francona. "Let's let this thing settle down, let the medical staff work and we'll get him back whenever he's supposed to be."
Francona said Beckett could re-join the Sox here in Toronto -- they're here through Thursday night -- or wait and join them in Tampa.
"We'll see how he's feeling,'' Francona said, "and go from there."
The fear had been that Beckett may have done damage to either the ligaments or tendons in the right ankle, sidelining him for an extended period of time and compromising his availability and readiness for the postseason.
Based on Gill's findings and statement, those fears now seem unfounded.