Report: Celtics agree to terms with Arroyo

191544.jpg

Report: Celtics agree to terms with Arroyo

By Jessica Camerato
CSNNE.com

The Boston Celtics have come to terms with point guard Carlos Arroyo, the Boston Herald reported.

Arroyo was waived by the Miami Heat prior to their acquisition of Mike Bibby. The nine-year veteran averaged 5.6 points and 2.0 assists for the Heat this season.

A roster spot became available when the Celtics did not re-sign center Chris Johnson to another 10-day contract. Doc Rivers noted after practice on Saturday that their priority was finding help in the backcourt.

Honestly, were trying to sign a point guard, he said. If we can sign a point guard, then were going to move C.J.

The addition of Arroyo gives the Celtics a veteran backup for Rajon Rondo, whose minutes have become a concern of Rivers. With Delonte West and Von Wafer injured, and rookie Avery Bradley still developing, the Celtics lack a reliable option behind Rondo.

Rondo is averaging over 37 minutes per game this season, and Rivers is worried about the amount of time he is on the court.

The guy Ive got to keep down more is Rondo, Rivers said after Rondo played nearly 42 minute on Friday against the Golden State Warriors. Even though hes young, hes still playing too many minutes the last four or five games. With Delonte (West) out, thats put a lot of stress on us as well.

Rondo suffered a strained left hamstring and sprained left ankle earlier in the season, and is being cautious about his health as he plays major minutes.

Id benefit a lot from playing less minutes, he said. But we dont practice long, we practice hard, so thats key for my recovery. Im doing what I can do on off days as far as getting my rest, icing, getting a massage, so Im young. Ill be ok.

Jessica Camerato is on Twitter at http:twitter.comjcameratonba

Isaiah Thomas continues to claim Celtics' franchise records

Isaiah Thomas continues to claim Celtics' franchise records

BOSTON – This continues to be a historic season for Isaiah Thomas as more records fell in Wednesday’s 103-100 loss to Milwaukee, and the company he’s keeping becomes even more exclusive. 

Thomas had a game-high 32 points on Wednesday which included five made 3’s on nine attempts. That gave him 223 for the season which is a new franchise single-season record for made 3-pointers. The previous record was 222 set by Antoine Walker during the 2001-2002 season.

And his 32 points scored gives him 2,012 this season. 

Only six players in franchise history (Paul Pierce was the last to do it during the 2005-2006 season) have scored 2,000 or more points in a single season. 

Oh, there’s more. 

With Wednesday being the 66th time this season he has had 20 or more points, Thomas has now tied Pierce (2005-2006) and Larry Bird (1985-1986; 1987-1988) for sixth on the Celtics’ single-season franchise list. 

“I didn’t even know that,” a visibly disappointed Thomas said following Wednesday’s loss. “It doesn’t feel that good right now. But when I look back on it, probably in the offseason, I’ll appreciate it a little more. But I’m just staying in the moment and try and play as best I can to lead this team to as many wins as possible.”

Other season milestones Thomas is in the mix for include the following:

  • The 5-foot-9 guard is one of three players this season to have 50 or more games of 25-plus points, joined by Oklahoma City’s Russell Westbrook (57) and Houston’s James Harden (54).
  • Thomas has made at least one 3-pointer in a franchise-record 50 straight games (Dec. 3 – March 29). That’s also the longest current streak in the NBA. 
  • With 66 games of 20 or more points this season, Thomas is second in the NBA to Westbrook (67).

Marcus Smart at center of yet another controversial call

Marcus Smart at center of yet another controversial call

BOSTON – One of the more bizarre plays in Boston’s 103-100 loss to Milwaukee came in the second quarter, requiring some explanation from the officials afterwards. 

With 3:55 to play in the second quarter, the officials had originally called a foul on Marcus Smart which he verbally protested that eventually led to him being whistled for a technical foul. 

After the officials reviewed the play, they changed the call to a personal foul against Khris Middleton but no change to the called technical foul against Smart who objected to a call that, upon review, they agreed was the wrong call to make. 

Official Sean Corbin, through pool reporter Ken Powtak of the Associated Press, acknowledged that the original call was a loose ball foul against Smart. 

“The (officiating) crew got together, we met prior to video and we decided that we needed to look at video because both players were on the floor bleeding so we went to the video for a hostile act,” Corbin told Powtak. “In the review we noticed that Khris Middleton initially made contact to Marcus Smart’s face. That’s how the original contact to the play occurred.”

Fortunately for the Celtics, Middleton missed his technical free throw while Smart split a pair of free throws which cut Milwaukee’s lead to 49-40.

Still, that’s no consolation for Smart who was whistled for a technical foul on a play that the official acknowledged was the wrong call to make. 

In the fourth quarter, Smart was at the center of yet another controversial call that was also reviewed by the officials. The verdict wasn't nearly as good for Smart who was whistled for a flagrant foul after getting his feet tangled up with Milwaukee's Giannis Antetokounmpo who was called for a non-shooting foul in the play with 4:46 to play. 

Antetokounmpo made one of two free throws and on the Bucks' ensuing possession, he was called for traveling.

Smart was unavailable to talk after the game in part because the aforementioned incident left an abrasion to his mouth and, because of the technical foul, a little lighter in the wallet as well.