Boston Celtics

Markieff and Marcus Morris assault case one step closer to trial

washington-wizards-markieff-morris-marcus-morris-81317.jpg

Markieff and Marcus Morris assault case one step closer to trial

 BOSTON – The multiple assault charges levied against Marcus and Markieff Morris moved one step closer towards going to trial. 

 Trial selection begins on September 12 at 8 a.m. local time in Phoenix. This is when the master calendar judge will identify which Superior Court Judge will preside over the trail.

Marcus, who was traded to the Boston Celtics this summer from Detroit in exchange for Avery Bradley, and his brother Markieff (a starting forward for the Washington Wizards) are each facing two aggravated assault charges with each carrying a maximum sentence of 3 ¾ years in jail.

Marcus and Markieff were allegedly involved in a January 24, 2015 incident in Phoenix involving Erik Hood who according to police reports, suffered a broken nose, abrasions and a large bump on his head. 

Hood, who attended the same Philadelphia high school as the twins, told police that he was held down by four men who assaulted him outside of a high school basketball game in Phoenix. He added that the Morris twins were among those who assaulted him. 

Authorities later said a witness identified the Morris twins as having been at the scene during the incident. 

According to Hood, he had at times coached the twins in addition to giving them rides to practice. But the relationship soured about year before they were drafted, according to reports. That is around the time when the twins reportedly found “inappropriate” text messages from Hood to their mother. 

However, the Morris twins have said that they were not involved in the incident, and that they have no connection to Hood.

Anything other than a not guilty verdict will likely result in some sort of suspension by the NBA.

Pleading down to a misdemeanor charge may result in the twins avoiding jail time, but they’re still likely to be hit with a multiple game suspension. 

Article VI, Section 7 of the league’s Collective Bargaining Agreement states that a player will be suspended for “a minimum of ten (10) games” if they are convicted, pleads guilty or pleads no contest or “nolo contendere” to a violent felony. 

Photo of Celtics' 1963 White House visit recalls a simpler time

63-celtics-with-jfk.png

Photo of Celtics' 1963 White House visit recalls a simpler time

As the controversy raged Saturday over President Donald Trump's tweet rescinding the White House invitation to Golden State Warriors' star Stephen Curry, a tweeted photo recalling a simpler time for sports team's presidential visits appeared. 

The nostalgic Twitter account @the_60s_at_50 posted a photo from the Celtics' visit to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and its principal occupant, John F. Kennedy, on Jan. 31, 1963. JFK had invited his hometown NBA team into the Oval Office for what seemed to be a spur-of-the-moment visit.

A newspaper account of the visit was also posted. The defending NBA champion Celtics were in the Washington area to play the Cincinnati Royals at the University of Maryland's Cole Field House that night and had been taking a tour of the White House when Kennedy invited them in. 

All the team members were there except for star center Bill Russell, who, of course, experienced incidents of racism in Boston that were well-documented. However, Russell's absence was blamed on him oversleeping. His teammates said they didn't know they would meet Kennedy on the tour.  

And yes, that's Celtics legend - and CSN's own - Tommy Heinsohn second from right. Coach Red Auerbach is next to the President on the left, Bob Cousy is next to Auerbach and John Havlicek is the first player in the second row on the left.