Boston Celtics

Stevens shoots down Indiana speculation: 'I’m going to be here'

Stevens shoots down Indiana speculation: 'I’m going to be here'

Death, Taxes and Brad Stevens’ rumored return to Indiana.

It’s hard to live in this world and not have all the above to contend with at some point every year.

For the umpteenth time, Stevens reiterated that he has no intensions of returning to the college game.

“I don’t speak to the rumor mill or anything else,” Stevens, an Indiana native who led Butler University to a pair of national title runner-up finishes, told reporters prior to tonight’s game at Brooklyn. “I’m made pretty clear I’m going to be here. I’ve been asked about that quite a bit. And I’ll keep saying the same thing. I’m going to be here until the Celtics decide they want to move in another direction.”

Stevens’ name has been rumored about after Indiana University fired Tom Crean earlier this week.

Even if Stevens were interested, it would be next to impossible for him to leave Boston for another college coaching job.

The Celtics signed Stevens to a six-year, $22 million contract when they hired him in 2013, and gave Stevens a three-year extension in 2016.

The Celtics have no incentive to release him from his current contract to take a college job.

Unlike when ex-coach Doc Rivers was interested in leaving the Celtics for another NBA job, colleges can’t strike a deal with the Celtics in order for them to make Stevens available.

In 2013, Boston let Rivers out of his contract to become head coach and president of basketball operations for the Los Angeles Clippers. In exchange for that, the Celtics received a first-round pick that was used to select R.J. Hunter.

At the time of Stevens’ extension in June of last year, the Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge – he also received an extension at that time – thought Stevens’ new deal would end all rumors regarding Stevens’ availability to return to the college game.

“We don't have to answer any more questions about Indiana or Butler, or Duke, or North Carolina," Ainge said in June when the Celtics announced both of their contract extensions.

Photo of Celtics' 1963 White House visit recalls a simpler time

63-celtics-with-jfk.png

Photo of Celtics' 1963 White House visit recalls a simpler time

As the controversy raged Saturday over President Donald Trump's tweet rescinding the White House invitation to Golden State Warriors' star Stephen Curry, a tweeted photo recalling a simpler time for sports team's presidential visits appeared. 

The nostalgic Twitter account @the_60s_at_50 posted a photo from the Celtics' visit to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and its principal occupant, John F. Kennedy, on Jan. 31, 1963. JFK had invited his hometown NBA team into the Oval Office for what seemed to be a spur-of-the-moment visit.

A newspaper account of the visit was also posted. The defending NBA champion Celtics were in the Washington area to play the Cincinnati Royals at the University of Maryland's Cole Field House that night and had been taking a tour of the White House when Kennedy invited them in. 

All the team members were there except for star center Bill Russell, who, of course, experienced incidents of racism in Boston that were well-documented. However, Russell's absence was blamed on him oversleeping. His teammates said they didn't know they would meet Kennedy on the tour.  

And yes, that's Celtics legend - and CSN's own - Tommy Heinsohn second from right. Coach Red Auerbach is next to the President on the left, Bob Cousy is next to Auerbach and John Havlicek is the first player in the second row on the left.