Full name: Donte Dominic Greene
Height/Weight: 6-11, 226 pounds
Birthday: February 21, 1988 (25 years old)
NBA experience: 4 seasons
1. Greene was born in Munich, Germany and moved to the United States when he was 3 years old. He also lived in Japan for his mother’s job with the National Security Agency.
2. He attended Towson Catholic High School in Maryland, the same state in which teammates Jeff Green and Keith Bogans attended high school. He was named to the 2007 McDonald’s All-American Team.
3. Greene played one season at Syracuse University and ranks second in school history behind Carmelo Anthony for most points scored by a freshman. He earned Second Team All-Big East honors during the 2007-08 season.
4. The Memphis Grizzlies selected Greene with the 28th overall pick in the 2008 NBA Draft. (The Celtics chose J.R. Giddens with the 30th pick.) That night Greene was traded to the Houston Rockets in a three-team deal with the Portland Trail Blazers. Two months later, the Rockets moved Greene to the Sacramento Kings, where he played his first four NBA seasons.
5. Greene has an NBA career average of 6.1 points (40.6% FG, 70.1% FT), 2.4 rebounds, and 0.7 assists in 16.8 minutes over 253 regular season games.
6. In the 2008-09 season Greene played five games for the Reno Bighorns (NBA Development League).
7. Last season, Greene signed with the Atleticos de San German (Puerto Rico). He re-joined the NBA in April by signing with the Grizzlies.
8. This July, Greene played for the Grizzlies Las Vegas Summer League team, averaging 11.7 points, 3.2 rebounds, and 1.2 assists a game.
9. Greene is just one of two athletes with that last name to play in the NBA. The other Greene, Orien, was also a member of the Celtics. This is the second time the Celtics have had a “Green-Greene” combination (Jeff Green-Donte Greene 2013-14, Gerald Green-Orien Greene 2005-06).
10. Greene wore number 20 in his career with the Kings. That number was most recently worn on the Celtics by Ray Allen. Greene donned number 13 on the Grizzlies summer league squad, the same number as his trade counterpart Fab Melo. He does not have a number on the Celtics website.
11. He can be found on Twitter @dontegreeneCOS. Following the trade to the Celtics, Greene tweeted “#blessed.”