Thomas: Leave team, family alone

640334.jpg

Thomas: Leave team, family alone

OTTAWA It was another day and another round of questions for Tim Thomas, who was pulled from a podium during NHL All-Star player availability after answering a barrage of questions for roughly five minutes.

In that time Thomas answered several queries about the All-Star game and skills competitions before getting more questions about his political decision to skip the White House earlier this week. Thomas has attempted to close out the subject with his Facebook statement from Monday night and some brief comments on the subject during and after Thursdays All-Star Draft.

But the questions arent going anywhere.

While Thomas wasnt directly asked about the White House event, he answered a couple of questions about whether or not he feels the issue has been a distraction for his teammates.

"The controversy is all media driven and it has been from the start. Everything that I said and did was as an individual. It was not as a representative of the Boston Bruins, said Thomas. All it has to do is with me. But its separate from hockey. That's my personal life and those are my personal views. Those are my personal beliefs.

"It has nothing to do with hockey. It has nothing to do with this All-Star Game. It has nothing to do with the Boston Bruins.

Thomas was asked a follow-up about reports that he isnt considered a good teammate, or potential issues that his White House could have with the rest of his Bruins teammates. Thomas fired back against those critics, and appeared to take a shot at TSN media personality Dave Hodge for a highly inflammatory tweet that clumsily attempted satire by painting the Bs goaltender as a potential racist based on the notion that his childrens names all began with the letter K.

I dont think I should address stuff thats made up out of thin air, said Thomas. I would really appreciate if people would leave my teammates and my family out of it. Im looking forward to getting back on the ice because thats what I do and thats what I love. Im still going to have a lot of fun with it.

With that Thomas was ushered off the podium by Bruins media relations guru Matt Chmura before his scheduled appearances for a series of television interviews during Fridays afternoon access period.

McIntyre still building and earning trust of B's coaching staff

bruins-zane-mcintyre.jpg

McIntyre still building and earning trust of B's coaching staff

BRIGHTON, Mass -- It hasn’t been an easy road for Bruins rookie goaltender Zane McIntyre since getting called back up by Boston a few weeks ago.

The 24-year-old netminder is trying to give the B’s top-level goaltending while earning the trust of the Bruins coaching staff, and adjusting to the sporadic playing time that goes along with playing understudy to a No. 1 netminder like Tuukka Rask. The three goals allowed in the third period of Sunday afternoon’s 5-1 loss to the Penguins didn’t look good on paper, but really there wasn’t much McIntyre could do with the defense totally breaking down in front of him during a 12-shot barrage in the final 20 minutes.

The 3.95 goals against average and .860 save percentage certainly look like a little frightening for the first-year goalie, but the truth is there’s going to be some bumps as he adjusts to life as a backup for the first time.

“[The adjustment] is mostly between the ears, to be honest,” said McIntyre. “I have confidence in my physical abilities and I know what I can do, and what makes my game successful. So right now it’s just building confidence every day in practice and staying persistent, staying with it. I know good things are going to happen when you surround yourself with good people, and the biggest thing is battling every day and making sure I’m contributing to the team.”

McIntyre will certainly have to be sharp if he’s put back in the crease on Tuesday night against the Red Wings after Rask exited from Sunday’s loss in the second period with symptoms of a migraine. The Bruins top goalie missed practice on Monday while getting himself checked out medically, and there’s a chance he could be out if the symptoms are in any way related to the Roman Josi shot he took off his neck last week.

“I’m just taking it day-by-day to be honest. That’s what I’ve always done in the past, and I’m just trying to build up confidence every day,” said McIntyre, who had been lights out in Providence prior to getting the call to Boston. “We’ll just see what happens and roll with it.”

That’s a challenge McIntyre will certainly be up for in a different way than Sunday’s mop-up duty, but it remains to be seen just how steady-footed the Bruins will be about their goalie situation if Rask is expected to miss any time this week.