Skinner, Hall deals paint picture for Seguin

741836.jpg

Skinner, Hall deals paint picture for Seguin

So it looks like the range for Tyler Seguins next contract has been formed once the Bruins and their future franchise player finally start putting the details together on a contract extension.

Most expected the 20-year-old Bruins phenom would command an extension like the six-year, 34.34 million deal signed by Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner last week. But now Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall has potentially raised that price tag with a seven-year, 42 million deal that will leave him with a 6 million cap hit and free agency at the tender age of 28.

Hall was the No. 1 overall pick in 2010, Seguin was the No. 2 overall pick and Skinner was the No. 7 overall pick in an impressively stacked draft held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

So barring anything unforeseen or crazy happening to No. 19 as he enters his third NHL season, Seguin can pull out comparables for a second contract that should pay him somewhere between 5.75-6 million for 6-7 years of term in Boston. He may have to bump up his offensive numbers a little bit at the start of his third NHL campaign, however.

Skinner is averaging .73 points per game over his first two NHL seasons with an All-Star appearance during his rookie season, Seguin is averaging .57 points per game in 155 regular season games over the last two years and Hall has averaged .75 points per game in 126 contests over the last two years. Seguin is still slightly behind those other two players who have both battled injuries over the last two years while the Bs forward has remained relatively healthy in pure offensive stats and production.

But there are a couple of qualifiers in Seguins favor, however.

Hes got a proven body of work in the Stanley Cup playoffs over a pair of seasons and a Stanley Cup championship on his resume, which is much more than Skinner or Hall can brag about along with their new deals.

Seguin also appears poised for a giant final season in his three-year entry level contract, and had the single best season of any of the three players in 2011-12 while scoring 29 goals, 67 points and leading the NHL with a plus-34 rating. So it would appear the Hall contract is the most money Seguin could hope for, but Skinner still appears to be the more likely comp for his next extension.

This is all subject to change in a league where Gary Bettman is attempting to keep contract term limited to five seasons in the future while Seguin could sign a deal without limitations prior to Sept. 15.

Don Sweeney: Bruins 'lost a good player' in Colin Miller

Don Sweeney: Bruins 'lost a good player' in Colin Miller

CHICAGO – Don Sweeney said the Bruins knew and expected they were going to lose one of three players in the NHL expansion draft, and it’s pretty clear it was going to be Adam McQuaid, Kevan Miller or Colin Miller leaving the team. The B’s took Kevan Miller out of the equation by leaving him on the protection list after a strong season while also playing some of his best hockey in the playoffs.

That left McQuaid and Miller with each of the two D-men standing an equal chance of getting selected by the Vegas Golden Knights, and the 24-year-old puck-moving Miller going to Vegas for the time being. It remains to be seen if Miller sticks with the Golden Knights, or if there is an eventual plan to flip him elsewhere like perhaps an interested party in Toronto.

Sweeney said the Bruins didn’t want to lose a player with potential like Miller, but it’s also true that he would have been stuck behind younger, better D-men on the depth chart with Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo as better right-handed options.

“It was an interesting process to go through. It was hard at times because you felt like other teams were able to find deals to keep their team together while you felt vulnerable in that regard,” said Sweeney at the B’s team hotel in Chicago during a Thursday availability with the media. “You knew you were going to lose a good player. You knew they had targeted three players on our team that we felt they would target, and unfortunately we’re losing a good, young player.

“We thought highly of Colin. He was part of a big trade for us and we wish him well moving forward. We thank for him doing his part with the organization. We lost a good player.”

Clearly, the Bruins lost a defenseman with skills and youth on his side, but it’s also a young guy that hasn’t put it all together yet while never posting more than 16 points in each of his two seasons with the Black and Gold. Perhaps he will put together the offensive package at his next landing spot after showing flashes in Boston over the last two years, but that unknown factor while no longer being considered a prospect is the reason he didn’t find himself on the protected D list along with Zdeno Chara and Torey Krug.  

Bruins' 2017-18 schedule has three Habs games in eight days

Bruins' 2017-18 schedule has three Habs games in eight days


The Bruins released their schedule for the 2017-18 season Thursday, with their campaign beginning at TD Garden on Oct. 5 against the Predators. 

Two things stand out in Boston’s schedule. Eleven of their final 15 games are on the road, and they don’t play the Canadiens until mid-January.  

Then, when the B’s and Habs do finally meet, they play three times in an eight-day span. The rivals face each other Jan. 13 in Montreal, Jan. 17 in Boston and Jan. 20 in Montreal. The Bruins’ final regular-season meeting with the Habs is March 3. 

To see the full schedule, click here.