Marchand wants to remain in Boston

485584.jpg

Marchand wants to remain in Boston

By Joe Haggerty
CSNNE.com Bruins Insider Follow @hackswithhaggs
WILMINGTON Brad Marchand has a message for all of the bloggers, critics and haters that assumed he was shirtless, drunk and maybe even a little stupid all summer after capturing the Stanley Cup at 23 years old.

At least I wasnt the one that dropped the Cup, quipped Marchand in reference to space-shot winger Michael Ryder, who had the Cup in his possession when it fell off a table and was visibly dented.

Its good to see Marchand hasnt lost his impish sense of humor.

On more serious matters, the pesky winger did admit that perhaps he ripped it up just a little too much in the ensuing weeks following Bostons Game 7 victory over the Canucks. Perhaps all of the shirtless pictures of him celebrating atop bars in the Boston area were something he might not do again if given the opportunity.

Or then again maybe he would.

I had fun for a week or two, but I trained a lot harder after that. We won the Cup and Im 23 years old. Maybe I went a little bit harder than I should have (post-Cup win), but it's something we dream about our whole lives, assured a smirking Marchand. Thats all it was."

The diminutive 20-goal scorer was present at Ristuccia Arena for the first day of captains practice with the Bruins despite his status as an unsigned restricted free agent, and its pretty clear he has no designs on suiting up for anybody else. According to several sources close to the negotiations, Marchand wants to sign with Boston and all signs point to a deal getting done sooner rather than later.

So theres no Phil Kessel situation going on with No. 63 if anybody was afraid of the agitator shooting his way out of town just like Kessel did when he forced a trade to the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Id never thought about it. I had no idea, said Marchand. I knew that Arnott was Kessels agent, but this is a totally different situation.

Theres a hold-up on the deal given the truly disparate contracts handed out to Logan Couture (two-year deal for roughly 2.75 million per season) and James van Riemsdyk (six years at 4.25 million per season) during the offseason. Both players would have been restricted free agents like Marchand, and both players were negotiating after one truly good NHL season, just like Marchand.

The Bs have attempted to close things with a two-year deal in the 4.5-4.75 neighborhood that Tampa Bay Lightning winger Teddy Purcell settled for this summer. But Marchands camp is holding out for the bigger, better deal from the Bruins, and the young forwards value may never be higher than it is coming off the heels of a Stanley Cup victory.

Marchands agent, Wade Arnott, indicated to CSNNE.com last month that its not a done deal that the restricted free agent signs a contract before training camp begins, but the player said on Thursday he hasnt yet truly entertained the positives and negatives of holding out.

Thats how it goes sometimes. Its been a long summer and Im anxious to get something done. I just want to be here and be on the ice with the guys, said Marchand. Im not thinking that far ahead right now. Its just day-to-day and hopefully its done before training camp.

I hope so, but well see. With the Stanley Cup win, its been a very short summer and theres a lot of stuff to do in a very short time. Some things take longer than others . . . thats all.

Its fairly hopeless that any other team is going to toss out the four-year van Riemsdyk contract offered to the Flyers forward after a 40-point regular season and a spectacular playoff performance led to a six-year commitment.

But it also doesnt seem likely that Marchand will sign the first thing pushed across his desk after waiting all summer for the Bruins to show him a little more money. The deal should get done, but feelings could begin to get bruised if things start spilling over into training camp and the anxiety heightens for Bostons spark plug rookie.

Joe Haggerty can be reached at jhaggerty@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Joe on Twitter at http:twitter.comHackswithHaggs

McQuaid on going in the NHL expansion draft: ‘I hope that’s not the case for me’

McQuaid on going in the NHL expansion draft: ‘I hope that’s not the case for me’

BOSTON – With the NHL expansion draft looming a couple of months in the future, it became much more of a reality for the Bruins this week now that the 2016-17 season is in the books.

Bruins GM Don Sweeney said on Thursday that he expects the Bruins to go the 7 (forwards) 3 (defensemen) 1 (goaltender) route protecting their roster from the June 21 expansion draft. That will still leave some useful roster players unprotected.

MORE BRUINS

Atop that available expansion list for the Bruins will be potential names Malcolm Subban, Riley Nash, Jimmy Hayes and Adam McQuaid, who could be headed to Vegas. Asked about the topic at this week’s breakup day for the players, McQuaid expressed his hopes that he isn’t the one selected by the Vegas Golden Knights. The 30-year-old McQuaid stayed healthy enough to play in 77 games this season, and posted two goals and 10 points along with a plus-4 while serving in a top-four role pretty much all season as Torey Krug’s defensive partner.

McQuaid also brought the toughness and quiet leadership element with his willingness to always stand up for his teammates and go toe-to-toe with the toughest guys in the league when it was called for. His midseason heavyweight bout with Matt Martin was one of the most memorable moments of the season. It’s an element the Bruins would miss if he was taken in the expansion draft.  

“Well, I hope not. I never thought of it that way, to be honest with you. Obviously, the reality of the situation is they’re picking somebody from every team,” said McQuaid. “So, I hope that’s not the case for me. I’ve won here and I’ve always said how much I love it back here. I can’t imagine playing for another team. It’s totally out of my control, but hopefully that’s not the case.”

McQuaid is signed for $2.75 million for the next seasons and it was clear he was missed on the penalty kill once he went down injured in the first-round series against the Ottawa Senators. As for the entire expansion process, Sweeney said they are currently whittling down the protected list while required to protect Zdeno Chara, David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron and David Backes to start by virtue of the no-movement language in their contracts.

Other young players, Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo and Frank Vatrano among others, don’t need to be protected either after completing this season with two years or less of pro hockey experience. One of the most difficult decisions will come down to protecting either 25-year-old Colin Miller or 28-year-old Kevan Miller as the third defensemen. 

Whichever one of those D-men is left unprotected would join McQuaid as the most likely player to be selected by Vegas GM George McPhee after he spent a decent amount of time scouting the Black and Gold this season to get an idea of which player he wanted.

Here’s our best guess at which players will end up being protected by the Bruins:

Forwards (7): Bergeron, Krejci, Backes, Pastrnak, Marchand, Beleskey and Spooner

Defensemen (3): Chara, Krug and Colin Miller

Goaltender (1): Rask 


 

Friday, April 28: Why combine NHL Awards with expansion draft?

Friday, April 28: Why combine NHL Awards with expansion draft?

Here are all the links from around the hockey world, and what I’m reading, while hoping that Bruce Cassidy does a regular call-in to the Toucher and Rich Show next season. It’s a treat for Bruins fans. Cassidy is a straight shooter and has a great personality as well.

*Puck Daddy explains why the NHL is cramming the expansion draft for Vegas in with the NHL Awards show. I feel like this kind of makes sense because they’re both Vegas-centric.

*FOH (Friend of Haggs) Ian Mendes says there’s no playoff fever in Ottawa and instead only a “Sens malaise.” It’s crazy to me that there were pockets of empty seats in Ottawa for Game 1 of the second round of the playoffs against the Rangers.

*Speaking of Game 1 between the Sens and the Rangers, here are the details with Erik Karlsson again stepping up and playing the hero while carrying Ottawa.

*The Anaheim Ducks are having a heck of a time containing Leon Draisaitl in their second round battle with the Edmonton Oilers.

*Here’s some of this morning’s chat between Bruce Cassidy and Toucher and Rich where he talked about his relationship with Claude, his hate for the Canadiens and the future outlook for the Bruins organization. Good stuff.

*Glen Gulutzan reflects on his first season behind the bench for the Calgary Flames after their first round ouster.

*FOH (Friend of Haggs) and PHT writer Mike Halford has details of the Rangers not allowing Chris Drury to interview for the GM job with the Buffalo Sabres.

*For something completely different: What is the deal with this Buckingham McVie music that’s coming out? Whatever happened to Buckingham Nicks?