Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins leading the New Jersey Devils by a 3-1 score after the first 20 minutes of action at TD Garden.
1) Two more goals for Milan Lucic, who now has seven goals on the season. He’s on a mission this season after last year’s down campaign, and the work he did this summer is really showing. The first goal might be given back to Torey Krug with the shot from the point, but the second goal was a pure beauty as Lucic beat Martin Brodeur five-hole as he motored down the ice on the left wing.
2) Two goals in his last two games for Jarome Iginla, who got a good bounce off the skate of Damien Brunner after firing a low angle shot at the net. It looks like his luck is turning around going goalless in the first eight games of the season.
3) Torey Krug is an absolute difference-maker along the point on the power play, and four of his six points this season have come on the man advantage. It’s the presence of Krug and Jarome Iginla that make it an absolute certainty that the Bruins power play will be better this season.
4) An 0-for-5 in the face-off circle and a minus-2 rating for Devils center Travis Zajac in the first period. He looks like he’s in line for a long night against the Black and Gold.
5) Thirty one points for Krejci/Lucic/Iginla through nine plus games thus far this season, and it doesn’t look like they are anywhere close to done tonight. I’d say that chemistry is absolutely there now for that trio.
Here are five thoughts from the second period with the Bruins leading the New Jersey Devils by a 3-2 score after the first 40 minutes of action at TD Garden.
1) Bruins completely took their foot off the gas pedal there in the second period after building up a 3-1 lead. Low effort, bad decisions and some pretty half-hearted play in their own zone letting the Devils back into the game. Some of it is the Bruins playing their third game in four days, but they should still be better than this.
2) Penalty kill deserting the Bruins tonight against a New Jersey Devils team that doesn’t bring a lot to the table on the man advantage. Devils PP is 2-for-3 tonight after ranking 21st in the league entering the game.
3) Tuukka Rask even looking a little sloppy with some uncharacteristic rebounds, and an inability to close on a quick Damien Brunner shot to the near post that dribbled through his pads and just past the goal line. He tossed the puck over his shoulder in frustration after giving it up just before the end of the second period.
4) Dennis Seidenberg one of the only B’s defenseman that’s really having an above average night with a plus-2, four shots on net and a couple of hits along with a blocked shot through two periods. Dougie Hamilton deserving of some credit for moving the puck with confidence and precision again tonight as he’s really upped his level of play over the last couple of weeks.
5) Five shots on net and a power play goal for Damien Brunner. Maybe he’s got something to prove after the Bruins were among the many teams that passed on him as a free agent this summer for reasons that still aren’t all that clear to this humble hockey writer.