COLUMBUS – Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins trailing the Columbus Blue Jackets by a 1-0 score after the first 20 minutes of play at Nationwide Arena in the heart of Ohio.
· Five shot attempts generated for Loui Eriksson in the first period against the Blue Jackets. Maybe it’s the familiar, former Western Conference surroundings of Columbus, but that’s his best period thus far for the Black and Gold. Or perhaps he knows the only way to quiet the chorus of voices after last night’s four point performance from Tyler Seguin is start producing for his new team.
· Tough to blame Tuukka Rask on a Columbus power play goal where Artem Anisimov put his big body down low just as Jack Johnson was winding up from the top of the right circle. It looked like he never even saw the puck coming, and it all started with Jarome Iginla losing a PK face-off in Boston zone.
· Sleepy bout between Jarred Boll and Shawn Thornton with the Columbus tough guy picking a fight with No. 22 at the very end of his shift. Both players kept their helmets on and exchanged a few glancing punches before it was broken up quickly. It was Thornton’s third fight of the year already, so he’s off to a busy start.
· Best chance for Bruins came on a Torey Krug backdoor play where Jordan Caron found him cross-ice as he was cutting to the net. Krug waited with the puck and nearly squirted the puck through Sergei Bobrovsky’s pads, but he was able to cover up the loose puck between his legs. Krug continues to create offense.
· I will never get used to the cannon that fires off every time the Blue Jackets score here in Columbus. It makes me jump 10 feet out of my chair every time it happens. So I won’t be heartbroken if that’s all the scoring for the Blue Jackets today.
Here are five thoughts from the second period with the Bruins and Columbus Blue Jackets tied at a 1-1 score after the first 40 minutes of play at Nationwide Arena in the heart of Ohio.
· Two goals for Chris Kelly this season after smoking a rocket past Sergei Bobrovsky at the end of the second period right after coming out of the penalty box. Kelly has two goals this season. It took him 22 games to get to two goals last year.
· Great first two periods from Tuukka Rask, who bailed out Brad Marchand’s terrible blueline turnover with a glove save on Mark Letestu while still trailing by a goal. Marchand really hasn’t looked consistently good in the first few weeks of this season.
· Pretty sleepy affair between the Bruins and Blue Jackets today in a Saturday afternoon matinee. Not really surprised there.
· Two shots on net for the line of Iginla, Krejci and Lucic. Not a lot going on with them today.
· Power play hasn’t been very good for the Bruins today, and there’s little doubt the Bruins do miss Dougie Hamilton when he’s not in the lineup. But Matt Bartkowski has looked pretty solid today for the Bkack and Gold while avoiding any glaring mistakes.