Habs stop B's comeback with 4-3 victory in 2 OT

Habs stop B's comeback with 4-3 victory in 2 OT
May 1, 2014, 11:30 pm
Share This Post

BOSTON - The Boston Bruins did just about everything right in Game 1 against the Montreal Canadiens.

Except finish the job.

Boston lost in double overtime to the Habs, 4-3, after coming back from a 2-0 deficit in the third period.

With Matt Bartkowski in the box for holding, the Canadiens won the face-off in the their offensive zone. Andrei Markov found P.K. Subban for the slapshot that got past Tuukka Rask and earned the Habs Game 1 of the series. It was Subban's second goal of the game.

The team that won Game 1 of a Bruins-Canadiens series has gone on to win the series 27 out of 33 times.

The Bruins controlled much of the attack from the first period on, but had nothing on the scoreboard to show for it until the third period. 

The B's fourth line had a couple chances within the first seven minutes of the game. Gregory Campbell's first shot was saved after Canadiens goalie Carey Price watched puck bounce off the endboards and then the net. Campbell swooped in and made a play on the puck, but Price was there waiting. Later Campbell missed wide right on a shot in front of the net.

It looked like the Habs were a bit slow out of the gates, especially on the defensive end. Boston went on the attack early, but Price didn't let anything through.

The Habs got on the board first in this one on the power play. Bartkowski went to the box for tripping Dale Weise, and the Canadiens went on the attack. After a near goal, the Habs made good on their second attempt.

Campbell lost the face-off in the B's offensive sown, and as the puck worked its way around the ice, it found Subban, whose wrist shot found the back of the net. Credit Andrei Markov and Tomas Plekanec for the assists.

It was Subban's fourth straight game with at least one point.

Milan Lucic and the top line had chance after chance in this one. The first big one came in the first period. Lucic made a pass to Krejci down the left side, who then touched it back to Lucic, who passed it to Krug. But Krug danced with the puck in front of the net instead of shooting it. He waited for the perfect opening, and it never came. By the time he took the shot, Price was in position and made the save. 

Boston would go into the second period down 1-0.

The Bruins almost equaled things up early in the second period, and again it was the top line getting in on the action. Krug, skating up the left side, made a nice pass to a streaking Krejci down the middle of the ice. Krejci skated ahead of a Habs defenseman, decked, but couldn't put the puck past Price as he turned it aside.

Had the B's scored there, the tides would have completely turned in their favor. Instead, not too much later on, it was the Habs that struck again.

Rene Bourque put Montreal up 2-0 after a tough turnover by Johnny Boychuk. Boychuk, looking to get the puck up the ice and out of the B's defensive zone, made a sloppy pass to Krug, who couldn't handle it. Habs center Lars Eller got a stick on it and got it to Bourque. Montreal then had a 2-on-1 the other way, and Bourque kept it and beat Rask.

Brad Marchand and Subban got tangled up, with Marchand pushing Subban in the face and Subban grabbing his face in pain. The play went uncalled, but the Bruins fans certainly made Subban know how they felt about it.

The Bruins would hear the whistle at 14:16 though, when Habs defenseman Josh Gorges went to the box for holding Carl Soderberg.

The top line would again get their chance to get through. Jarome Iginla had two great chances on the power play, one a save by Price, and the follow up just wide right.

If Iginla wasn't close enough, Dougie Hamilton hit the post from blue line shortly after. 

It was looking like one of those games for the B's that they'd control much of the game, but have nothing to show for it . . .

. . . and then the third period happened.

Reilly Smith got the Bruins on the board with a wrist shop that beat Price top shelf from the right corner of the ice.

Smith used a screen by Bergeron in front of the net perfectly, and the TD Garden exploded. Smith's goal at 2:44 left plenty of time for the B's to build off their momentum - and that they did.

Less than four minutes later, it was big-game Krug who tied things up. 

Lucic found a trailing Krug as the B's entered the Habs offensive zone off a turnover, and Krug's slapshot was too fast for Price. 

With that goal, the sound barrier was broken inside the TD Garden, and it was a brand new game.

But again, the B's missed chances. They probably should have had about eight goals in this one. Loui Eriksson rang the crossbar later in the period with the B's possessing all the momentum. 

Then, Krejci and Lucic missed with just under 9 minutes remaining. Krejci made a pass to Lucic who basically had an open net waiting for him, but fanned on the shot.

It would be magnified on the Habs attack at the other end, where they scored the next goal. After mayhem in front of Rask, the puck ended up behind the net on the stick of Brian Gionta. He made a pass to Francis Bouillon, who beat Rask with a shot that landed in the top right corner of the net. 

The top line kept the foot on the pedal in the closing minutes of the game, as Krejci, Lucic, and Krug just missed a goal. Krug's slapshot was saved in front and rebound dribbled wide as Krejci crashed the net.

But shortly after, Boychuk wouldn't miss. His absolute bomb from the blue line off a pass from Marchand could not be stopped by any human, and that meant Price too. That would tie things up and send the game to overtime.

It would start with a 4-on-4 as Marchand and Eller received matching minors, Marchand for a cross-check and Eller for unsportsmanlike conduct. 

Rask and Price would stand tall for the entire first overtime, turning aside attacks on each end of the ice.

Price made a great save with the right pad off a Marchand shot with just over 10 minutes to go in the overtime, and Rask made a pad save off Weise seconds later. 

Price made another amazing save with under nine minutes to go in overtime on a Bruins top-line attack as Krejci was stopped stone cold after a great pass by Iginla. 

He would be one-upped by Rask minutes later as a puck off the endboards made its way to just above the crease, where Eller put a shot on net that Rask ate up.

Daniel Paille went to the box in the closing seconds of the first overtime for tripping Brendan Gallagher. The Canadiens wouldn't score before the first overtime ended, and failed to score on the remainder of it in the second overtime.

After the power play expired, Rask made a gigantic glove save on Plekanec who received the pass off a Bruins turnover in their defensive end.