Free agent Corvo reunites with Hurricanes

732002.jpg

Free agent Corvo reunites with Hurricanes

WILMINGTON, Mass. The regrettable Joe Corvo year in Boston is officially over as the much-maligned defenseman signed a one-year, 2 million deal with the Carolina Hurricanes, who originally traded him to the Bruins.

Corvo was second among Bruins defensemen with his 25 points during the regular season and was a respectable plus-10, but the Bs coaching staff was also very selective about putting him on the ice against the top offensive opposition. But the veteran defenseman was also a liability in the defensive zone, and his system breakdowns led to some untimely goals down the stretch.

It was another in a series of failed launches for the Bruins and puck-moving defensemen; Dennis Wideman, Matt Hunwick, Tomas Kaberle, Steve Kampfer, and Joe Corvo have all come and gone while failing to live up to Bostons need for a puck-moving blueliner.

Because of Corvos defensive zone failings, he was a healthy scratch down the stretch and at points during the playoff series against the Washington Capitals. It was pretty clear he wasnt a happy camper in Boston by the end of the season, and the feeling was mutual from the team.

Corvo told several reporters he wasnt coming back to the Bruins during breakup day following their Game 7 loss to the Capitals, and his contract with the Hurricanes guarantees it.

He referenced the difficulties he experienced transitioning to Boston when he spoke with the Hurricanes media corps.

"I'm really excited about coming back to Carolina, said Corvo on Sunday. Last year was pretty challenging for me. I feel very comfortable here, like an old shoe."

The Bruins sent a fourth-round pick to the Hurricanes in the 2012 draft in exchange for Corvos services during the 2011-12 campaign. Similarly Greg Zanon signed a two-year deal for 4.5 million with the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday duringthe first day of NHLfree agency.

Don Sweeney: Bruins 'lost a good player' in Colin Miller

Don Sweeney: Bruins 'lost a good player' in Colin Miller

CHICAGO – Don Sweeney said the Bruins knew and expected they were going to lose one of three players in the NHL expansion draft, and it’s pretty clear it was going to be Adam McQuaid, Kevan Miller or Colin Miller leaving the team. The B’s took Kevan Miller out of the equation by leaving him on the protection list after a strong season while also playing some of his best hockey in the playoffs.

That left McQuaid and Miller with each of the two D-men standing an equal chance of getting selected by the Vegas Golden Knights, and the 24-year-old puck-moving Miller going to Vegas for the time being. It remains to be seen if Miller sticks with the Golden Knights, or if there is an eventual plan to flip him elsewhere like perhaps an interested party in Toronto.

Sweeney said the Bruins didn’t want to lose a player with potential like Miller, but it’s also true that he would have been stuck behind younger, better D-men on the depth chart with Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo as better right-handed options.

“It was an interesting process to go through. It was hard at times because you felt like other teams were able to find deals to keep their team together while you felt vulnerable in that regard,” said Sweeney at the B’s team hotel in Chicago during a Thursday availability with the media. “You knew you were going to lose a good player. You knew they had targeted three players on our team that we felt they would target, and unfortunately we’re losing a good, young player.

“We thought highly of Colin. He was part of a big trade for us and we wish him well moving forward. We thank for him doing his part with the organization. We lost a good player.”

Clearly, the Bruins lost a defenseman with skills and youth on his side, but it’s also a young guy that hasn’t put it all together yet while never posting more than 16 points in each of his two seasons with the Black and Gold. Perhaps he will put together the offensive package at his next landing spot after showing flashes in Boston over the last two years, but that unknown factor while no longer being considered a prospect is the reason he didn’t find himself on the protected D list along with Zdeno Chara and Torey Krug.  

Bruins' 2017-18 schedule has three Habs games in eight days

Bruins' 2017-18 schedule has three Habs games in eight days


The Bruins released their schedule for the 2017-18 season Thursday, with their campaign beginning at TD Garden on Oct. 5 against the Predators. 

Two things stand out in Boston’s schedule. Eleven of their final 15 games are on the road, and they don’t play the Canadiens until mid-January.  

Then, when the B’s and Habs do finally meet, they play three times in an eight-day span. The rivals face each other Jan. 13 in Montreal, Jan. 17 in Boston and Jan. 20 in Montreal. The Bruins’ final regular-season meeting with the Habs is March 3. 

To see the full schedule, click here.