SASKATOON -- Here are five thoughts from the first period with the Bruins leading the Winnipeg Jets by a 2-0 score after the first 20 minutes of play at the Credit Union Centre.
1) Carl Soderberg is putting the finishing touches on a solid preseason with another goal here in the exhibition finale. The Big Swede crashed the net after Reilly Smith fired a shot on Al Montoya, and knocked the puck out of mid-air for the score. He looks like he could be cleaning up a lot of loose pucks around the net this season.
2) Al Montoya is playing more like Inigo Montoya tonight with those two goals allowed early in the game. He's a long way from being a first round pick out of the University of Michigan.
3) Johnny Boychuk made it a two-goal lead with a smoked point shot from the right side with Ryan Spooner and Jarome Iginla providing high and low screens. Good camp with a couple of goals for No. 55 as well.
4) Ryan Spooner looking very comfortable centering Lucic and Iginla. He provided a useful high screen on Boychuk's goal, and set up Iginla for a wicked shot from the left circle with a nifty little drop pass. Spooner continues to look very ready for the NHL.
5) Things getting a little chippy toward the end. Zach Smith caught a high stick that bloodied him, and Brad Marchand targeted Matt Scheifele with a hit he didn't see coming in the neutral zone. He could have been called for interference, but the refs didn't see it either. Midseason form from the Nose Face Killah.
SASKATOON -- Here are five thoughts from the second period with the Bruins leading the Winnipeg Jets by a 3-0 score after the first 40 minutes of the final preseason game of the year at the Credit Union Centre.
1) Jordan Caron finally gets involved with the roster battle by shoveling a puck past Al Montoya while camped in front of the net. It was Caron's first goal this preseason and it came at the end of his line's best shift of the game with Nick Johnson, Caron and Gregory Campbell really cycling the puck.
2) I'm sure this arena is a great venue for junior hockey games and it's got a pretty good turnout of fans wearing Bruins jerseys. But if you can't put together a workable press box with actual working Internet, you really don't deserve NHL teams coming to visit. Sorry, but the truth hurts.
3) Ryan Spooner has had some good chances and put himself in some good spots on the ice to score, but he missed an easy put back in the second period after Iginla got him the puck near the right post. Just floated it wide of the net, and then couldn't handle a second Iginla backdoor pass with extra mustard on it.
4) Tuukka Rask looking in midseason form. Stopped a lot of Winnipeg shots early in the game when they were active, and holds a shutout after two periods.
5) Bruins getting a lot of chances around the net, but not finishing all of them against a porous defense and a poor goaltender.