Varitek not considered a managerial candidate for now

684746.jpg

Varitek not considered a managerial candidate for now

Jason Varitek won't be the next Red Sox manager. But he may well have a hand in helping to determine who will.
While there has been media speculation that Varitek, hired as a special assistant to the front office last week, could emerge as a darkhorse candidate to replace Bobby Valentine, baseball sources indicate that isn't the case.
Varitek has told people close to him that, recently re-married and father of a baby girl, that he's not ready to commit the time necessary.
Speculation surrounding Varitek comes at time when several other clubs have enjoyed success hiring players with no managerial experience. Robin Ventura (Chicago White Sox), Mike Matheny (St. Louis Cardinals) and Kirk Gibson (Arizona Diamondbacks) have all enjoyed winning seasons early in their major league managerial careers, with Gibson and Matheny both guiding teams to the playoffs in their first full seasons.
What's more, that trend hasn't gone unnoticed by the Red Sox. Both general manager Ben Cherington and CEO and president Larry Lucchino acknowledged that the success enjoyed by that trio -- and others -- has encouraged the Sox to take a more open mind in the hiring process.
But for now, Varitek won't be one of those candidates under consideration. Instead, Varitek will concentrate on learning more about scouting, player development and player evaluation. In time, Varitek has told some, managing could be an option he'd explore.
Both the Red Sox and Varitek are said to be aware that it would problematic for the ex-captain to be asked to manage players who were recent teammates -- just one more obstacle to Varitek managing so soon after the conclusion of his playing career.
As part of his role, Cherington said Varitek will sit in on some of the managerial interviews and evaluations and be asked for his input as a recently retired player.

Red Sox’ quotes, notes and stars from 2-1 loss to Rays

Red Sox’ quotes, notes and stars from 2-1 loss to Rays

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Notes, quotes and stars from the Red Sox' 2-1 loss to the Rays:

QUOTES:

* "There's not much I can do about it now. It's kind of a waiting game and hopefully, the tests come back clean.'' -Andrew Benintendi, on the uncertainty surrounding his knee injury.

* "Sometimes, I like that, sometimes I don't because I'd kind of take a couple of quick outs in place of those to get a couple of more innings out there.'' -Drew Pomeranz on his career high 11 strikeouts.

* "That's probably the spot that looms the largest. Jackie's become more aggressive early in the count, but at the same time, that aggressiveness can work against you.'' -Farrell on Jackie Bradley Jr. swinging at the first pitch following a walk with the bases loaded.

NOTES:

* Drew Pomeranz recorded a career-high 11 strikeouts

 * Since moving to the leadoff spot, Dustin Pedroia has a slash line of .397/.418/.460 in 16 games.

* Pomeranz has yielded two runs or fewer in five consecutive starts.

* On the just-completed road trip, the Red Sox led in all but one game.

* Thursday's loss was the fourth this season in which the Sox allowed two runs or fewer.

 * The past 18 Red Sox losses have come by a combined 37 runs.

* Until Thursday, the Red Sox had won 20 of their past 31 day games.

* The bottom third of the makeshift Red Sox lineup combined to go 2-for-12.

* The Sox missed out on a chance to have an eight-win road trip, which would have been their first since 2011.

STARS:

1) Jake Odorizzi

The Rays started, facing a depleted Red Sox lineup, limited the Sox to a single run over seven innings, allowing just five hits and getting out of a bases-loaded, no-out jam by allowing just one run.

2) Mikie Mahtook

Mahtook was 0-for-34 when facing Drew Pomeranz in the seventh inning, but that didn't stop him from doubling home Steven Souza Jr with what proved to be the winning run.

3) Dustin Pedroia

The Sox couldn't generate much of anything at all offensively, but don't blame Pedroia. The leadoff hitter had three hits and a walk and was on base four times for the Sox.

Benintendi's MRI inconclusive; will undergo more tests Friday in Boston

Benintendi's MRI inconclusive; will undergo more tests Friday in Boston

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Andrew Benintendi saga will continue for at least one more day, as an MRI taken here Thursday morning was, in the words of John Farrell, "inconclusive" and the rookie left fielder will undergo more tests Friday in Boston.

"Our doctors want to get him back to a full exam with (team orthopedist) Dr. [Peter] Asnis," Farrell said after the 2-1 loss to the Rays, which concluded the team's 11-game road trip. "Hopefully, when I speak to you all [Friday] afternoon (at Fenway Park, prior to the team's game against Royals), there will be a little more information on this."

Farrell said Friday's tests "will include some other imaging".

The Sox placed Benintendi on the 15-day disabled list after he injured his left night while running the bases Wednesday night. 

"We're going to do some more tests tomorrow and take it day-by-day," he said. "There's not much I can do about it now. It's kind of a waiting game and hopefully the tests come back clean.''
 
Benintendi found one sliver of hope:
 
"The more I walk on it, the better it feels. I'm going to stay as positive as I can.''