BOSTON Josh Beckett, who left the game with two outs and the bases loaded in the third inning Tuesday night because of a back spasm, was not in the Red Sox clubhouse while it was opened to the media Wednesday afternoon.Manager Bobby Valentine, who also had not seen the right-hander several hours before game time, was unsure what Becketts status would be for his next start, which is scheduled for Sunday against the Twins at Fenway Park.I havent see Josh, but two of my coaches saw him, manager Bobby Valentine said. General manager Ben Cherington saw him. I was in the training room before he got in there, but he said hes a little stiff. Not surprisingly. He had spasms and hes a big guy. So we dont know how to read that other than it doesnt seem when Ben talked to him he said it doesnt seem like he was going to be a 15-day disabled list stint or anything. But well just play it by ear. Valentine was unsure if Beckett would need to miss a start.I dont know about that either, but the surety of that, I havent talked with Josh, Valentine said. Itll all be predicated on that bullpen session, which isnt until at least tomorrow, maybe the next day, where hell test it and that will predicate whether or not hell be able to make the start.Beckett walked off the mound Tuesday night to a chorus of boos.Fans pay their money to be part of our experience and if someones displeased with my walking out on the field or someone walking off of the field, theyre paying the right to be displeased and to express whatever they want to express, Valentine said. I think when a guy gets hurt and he comes off the field, Im not sure that thats the time to boo someone, personally. To each their own.
As good as things have gone for the Red Sox so far in 2016, their 2017 prospects took a bit of a blow over the weekend.
Sam Travis -- one of the organization's top prospects, and someone who opened a lot of eyes with an impressive spring-training showing this year -- suffered a torn ACL on Sunday while playing for the Pawtucket Red Sox and will be lost for the rest of the season. He was hurt while playing first base, collapsing as he chased down an opposition baserunner during a rundown play. He had to be helped off the field, and the extent of the injury was announced on Monday.
With David Ortiz retiring at the end of this season and Hanley Ramirez expected to replace him as the full-time designated hitter, the door was open for Travis to become the Red Sox' first baseman next year. Playing at Triple-A for the first time, the 22-year-old Travis -- honored by the Red Sox as their Minor League Offensive Player of the the Year in 2015 -- was hitting .272/.332/.434 with 10 doubles, 6 home runs and 29 RBI in 47 games.
Now, however, it's almost a complete certainty Travis won't be able to start next season in Boston. And depending on what the Red Sox do in the offseason to replace Ortiz, such as a signing a free agent to a multiyear contract, Travis' path upward in the Sox organization may become less wide open . . . if not blocked.
Dalen Cuff, "Hardy" and Bob Ryan give their "hot takes" on Eduardo Rodriguez and Clay Buchholz
Three things we learned from the Boston Red Sox' 7-2 win over the Baltimore Orioles