Buyers or sellers? What will the Red Sox be at the trade deadline?
After listening to Joe Haggerty debate with Steve Buckley about "pulling the chute" and ridding the roster of "those miserable veterans", Gary Tanguay had had enough.
"Hold the phone. Get off the ledge, pal," Tanguay said. "Because let me tell you right now: When they get Jacoby Ellsbury back . . . I don't know what's going to happen with Carl Crawford, but when the get the entire lineup healthy, they can still make a run."
"Absolutely," chimed in Dan Shaughnessy.
But Tanguay does have his worries.
"My concern is: Whining with the umpires. Chaos in the clubhouse," he said. "Will those factors derail this club before they get healthy enough to make a charge?"
Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.
"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."
No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .
. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.
Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.
Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.
Terms of the deals were not announced.
It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.