Based on what's being said -- and what's not being said -- Gary Tanguay believes we may very well see John Farrell managing the Red Sox next year.
"They're saying all the right things," Tanguay said Monday on 'Mohegan Sun Sports Tonight'. "Toronto seems to have a very lax policy; if their employees want to go elsewhere, that's fine . . . Farrell's saying all the right things, 'I'm just focusing on the Blue Jays'."
Nowhere is anyone saying that Farrell's definitely staying in Toronto, or the Red Sox definitely aren't interested in him.
"I think this has a shot at happening," said Tanguay.
And he thinks Farrell should jump at the chance.
"If you're a competitor like John Farrell, do you want to just be mediocre?" he asked rhetorically, referring to the Blue Jays' lack of resources to compete in the A.L. East. "Do you just always want to be someplace that's comfortable? Or do you want to go with a franchise that -- even next season, people, next season -- has a chance to win the World Series? At the end of the day, that's why you do this."
Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.
"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."
No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .
. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.
Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.
Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.
Terms of the deals were not announced.
It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.