BALTIMORE - The Red Sox already have six outfielders on the disabled list. It's entirely possible that they could add a seventh on Tuesday, albeit for a short period of time.
Ryan Sweeney, who hasn't played since making a spectacular diving catch in Philadelphia Saturday night, failed a concussion test administered by Major League Baseball officials Monday night, making him ineligible for Monday's game.
Sweneey has experienced a stiff neck and persistent headaches since. He took an online test, which he failed to pass, early yesterday afternoon.
He then took a round of early batting practice, and even before the Sox got word from MLB that he was ineligible, the Sox decided on their own to keep him out of the lineup.
"I did some hitting and stuff today," said Sweeney. "I don't know, I just felt kind of tired. They just want to be careful with it because it's not something to mess around with. I've never had a head injury so I don't really know what to expect, whether it just goes away one day or if it lasts for a couple of days."
Major League Baseball created a special seven-day DL for players who suffer mild concussions, or exhibit concussion-like symptoms.
Manager Bobby Valentine said Monday night that he and GM Ben Cherington were going to discuss whether to place Sweeney on that.
Asked about the possibility of going on the special DL himself, Sweeney said: "I think maybe. We just have to see, especially with some of the injuries we've had of late."
Indeed, earlier in the day, the Sox announced that Cody Ross had suffered a broken navicular bone in his left foot, and will be placed on the DL Tuesday.
Ross will join Carl Crawford, Jacoby Ellsbury, Darnell McDonald, Ryan Kalish and Jason Repko already on the DL.
With Sweeney ineligible and Ross sidelined, the Sox played Monday's game with just 23 players, including no backup outfielders beyond the likes of Mike Aviles, Adrian Gonzalez and Nick Punto, all of whom have scant outfield experience.