Stewart to make Red Sox debut on Wednesday vs. Angels

802022.jpg

Stewart to make Red Sox debut on Wednesday vs. Angels

ANAHEIM -- Two months after joining the organization in the trade that sent Kevin Youkilis to the Chicago White Sox, pitcher Zach Stewart will make his Red Sox debut Wednesday night when he draws a start against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Stewart was informed of the assignment Monday night while with Pawtucket Red Sox on a road trip outside of Atlanta. For Pawtucket, Stewart was 3-5 with a 3.94 ERA in 11 starts.

In five of his last six starts, Stewart had limited the opposition to three runs or fewer.

"I'm excited and ready to get going," said Stewart. "I had a (scheduled) start today and I was pretty much just getting ready for that. It was definitely a surprise and I'm happy to be here."

Stewart began the year in the White Sox organization, pitching in relief before being dealt (with Scott Podsednik) to the Sox for Youkilis in June.

"I've done a lot of both -- relieving and starting -- my whole career," he said. "So I guess it's somewhat normal. But it was kind of a roller coaster this season."

Wednesday will represent his first start in the big league for Boston. He's already pitched in the big leagues for both Toronto (in 2011) and the White Sox (earlier this year), but has lacked consistency in the past.

"For me, (it's about) getting ahead of guys and getting guys to swing and try to get themselves out," he said. "That's been my game plan and when I've been successful, that's usually what I'm doing. I'm not trying to fool anybody. I'm trying to throw strikes and try to let them get themselves out."

Stewart features a sinkerslider mix as his two most effective pitchers and is capable of getting groundouts when his stuff is working.

It's unknown whether Stewart will get additional starts in the final five weeks of the season. For now, he's taking the spot vacated by Franklin Morales, who was placed on the DL with left shoulder weakness. But he's effectively getting an early start on auditioning for a spot in the rotation next spring.

"That's not my call," said Stewart. "I'm just going to go out and pitch the best I can and whatever happens, happens. Hopefully, it's a good thing."

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.