Sox offense fails in loss

785920.jpg

Sox offense fails in loss

BOSTON It wasnt because the Red Sox didnt have their chances. In fact, they had very good chances in the seventh and eighth innings. But both times they came up empty. The result, another loss to the Orioles at Fenway Park. This time they fell, 2-1.The Sox gave Josh Beckett a tenuous 1-0 lead after the third inning. Becket was cruising through the Os lineup, facing the minimum through five innings.But after six, the Os lead 2-1.The Sox had good scoring opportunities in both the seventh and eighth innings.In the seventh inning, against left-hander Wei-Yin Chen, the Sox had runners on first and second with no outs, and second and third with one out after Darnell McDonalds sacrifice bunt. But Marlon Byrd struck out and Mike Aviles popped out to end the rally.In the eighth, against reliever Pedro Strop, the Sox had runners on first and second with one out. Dustin Pedroia, who went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts, struck out to open the inning. Strop then issued back-to-back walks to Kevin Youkilis and David Ortiz. But Will Middlebrooks flied out to center and Scott Podsednik, who entered the game in the seventh as a pinch-runner for Adrian Gonzalez, grounded out to Mark Reynolds at first base.That virtually sealed their fate and the game. With Os closer Jim Johnson entering in the ninth, the Sox would be hard-pressed to repeat their ninth-inning dramatics of Tuesday night. Johnson, who blew his first save of the season Tuesday night before getting the win in the 10th, came in for the ninth. This time he did not disappoint the Os, getting Jarrod Saltalamacchia to fly out before striking out pinch-hitters Ryan Sweeney and Daniel Nava. It was Johnsons 18th save in 19 chances this season.The seventh we have first and second and Darnell executes a nice bunt, said manager Bobby Valentine. Theyre going to play the infield back second and third. All we need is contact for a tie game, base hit for a lead and Marlon hasnt struck out that many times against left-handers. He struck out. And in the eighth we just were one swing short.Thats exactly what it came down to, Aviles said. Their pitchers basically outpitched our hitters. Thats really what it came down to. It was a great-pitched ball game all around. Josh pitched unbelievably well and he definitely deserved to win and unfortunately we werent able to back him up with the bats.Its a situation in which the Sox have been successful many times in the past.I think we were all pretty comfortable and confident that something was going to happen, especially with Byrdie, Jarrod Saltalamacchia said. He did a great job earlier in the game getting the guy over. It ended up being a hit so we had first and third. It ended up getting us our first run with the next batter. So full confidence in that, in every one of the guys. Still do.The Sox were 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position, and left eight runners on base. This is a different Baltimore team than the Sox have been used to seeing in the past few years.Their pitching is great, Ortiz said. Im not going to lie to you. Their pitching, those guys have been pitching really good and their offense, whenever they get into those situations they score.Going back to last season, the Sox are winless in their last seven games at home against the Orioles, the longest home losing streak to Baltimore in team history.Well play better. Thats all I got, said Pedroia.

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

red-sox-outfield-dance-092816.jpg

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

Mooke Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and a mix of Andrew Benintendi, Brock Holt, Blake Swihart and Chris Young brought postgame celebrations to a new level last season.

Most Sox fans are familiar with the outfield victory "Win, Dance, Repeat" where the trio would dance and pretend to photograph the game's best player between them. The celebration ended with a pose at first, but as seen the MLB the Show 17's freshly released trailer, a few more wrinkes were added in.

In fact, here's a taste of the celebrations and what else to expect from Playstation's 2017 MLB game:

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Carlos Beltran, the 39-year-old switch hitter who was a potential target of the Red Sox as a DH, agreed to a free-agent deal with the Houston Astros, ESPN's Buster Olney reported.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that it's a one-year, $16 million deal. 

Beltran played for the Astros in 2004. He was dealt from the New York Yankees to the Texas Rangers at the July 31 trading deadline last season. He totaled 35 homers, 101 RBI and hit .295 in 2016. 

The Red Sox, looking to fill the void left by David Ortiz's retirement, will be looking for a DH at the Winter Meetings that begin next week. One possibility is the return of Mike Napoli, who played for the A.L. champion Cleveland Indians last season.

More on the Winter Meetings here from CSN Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam.