Sox notes: Ross sees concussion specialist

Sox notes: Ross sees concussion specialist
June 20, 2013, 7:30 pm
Share This Post

DETROIT - The Red Sox were awaiting results of David Ross's visit to concussion specialist Dr. Michael Collins in Pittsburgh
Thursday before determining a course of action for the catcher.
     
Ross, who spent time on the seven-day concussion disabled list last month, experienced similar symptoms last weekend after being
hit on the catcher's mask last Friday by a foul tip.
     
He was placed on the seven-day DL again Tuesday by the Red Sox.
     
Manager John Farrell said it was unclear whether Ross had suffered a second concussion, or merely a recurrence of the symptoms.
     
"Don't have that [information],'' said Farrell. "We do know that there's an additional foul tip, with the ringing in the ears and the  clarity that didn't follow after that, we can't say it's a completely  new one.''
     
Ross returned to Boston after the visit, but Farrell said he  didn't know if Ross would join the team here in Detroit for the
remainder of the series or wait until the team returned home.
       
***
Mike Carp, who's been out since leaving the game Sunday with cramping in his right hamstring, was not in the starting lineup but was available off the bench Thursday night.
     
Carp sat out the doubleheader Tuesday and didn't play Wednesday, but felt improvement Thursday.
    
He was out of the lineup Thursay because the Sox were facing lefty Jose Alvarez.
     
But with the Tigers set to throw three righties -- Doug Fister, Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander -- in the final three games of  the series, Farrell vowed that Carp would return to the starting lineup soon.