Sox notes: Buchholz start pushed back to Tuesday

Sox notes: Buchholz start pushed back to Tuesday
June 13, 2013, 6:30 pm
Share This Post

BALTIMORE -- Electing to proceed cautiously, the Red Sox have ruled out Clay Buchholz for Sunday's series finale, choosing instead to go with Jon Lester while hoping Buchholz is ready for Tuesday's doubleheader at Fenway.

Buchholz, who threw Wednesday in St. Petersburg, threw again Thursday at Camden Yards.

"He had some slight improvement [over Wednesday],'' said John Farrell. "There's still some soreness in that neck muscle, the base of
the muscle. But everything in the AC joint is free and clear. But as we stated before, we're going to make sure that there are no symptoms
felt, so we're targeting more like Tuesday.''

The plan now is for Buchholz to throw his regular in-between-start bullpen Sunday, in anticipating of returning to the mound Tuesday.

"This is similar to the path when he came back and made the start in New York,'' said Farrell of Buchholz's interrupted schedule last
month. "We feel like the two additional days will be time to get over the soreness, but we won't put him out there until he's symptom-free.''

***
Reliever Alex Wilson joined the Red Sox, replacing Alfred Aceves, who was optioned back to Triple-A Pawtucket after his spot start Wednesday night at Tropicana Field.

Wilson had previously been with the team from April 9 through May 28, when he fell victim to a roster/numbers crunch.

"He did a good job,'' said Farrell of the earlier stint. "He threw strikes and seemed to attack lefties and righties both. He was just
starting to get his feet on the ground, for a young guy. In the first couple of outings, there was some tentativeness with the first few guys
he faced, but once he got into the flow of the inning, he did a good job.

"He's got the capability of going multiple innings. We're comfortable with him being here.''

***
Jacoby Ellsbury carried an 11-game hitting streak into Thursday night, during which he was hitting .440 (22-for-50), with multiple hits in seven
of those 11 games.

Ellsbury has scored at least one run in each of the last 10 games and is the first Red Sox players to collect at least one hit and score
at least one run in 10 straight since Johnny Damon did so in 11 straight in 2004.

His on-base percentage is .355 and his average is up to .283.

"He's swinging the bat and playing he's shown before,'' said Farrell. "He's clearly over the groin issue that kept him out for four or five games after the Philly series and when he gets on base, we're seeing what he's capable of doing [with a league-leading 29 steals]. What Jacoby gives us is a dynamic guy in that outfield spot.''

What hasn't happened, however, is a return of the power he flashed in 2011, when he hit 32 homers. Ellsbury has just one homer in 258 at-bats
and a .398 slugging percentage.

"When he first came up,'' said Farrell, "he was a guy that pitchers would look to pound in. Then he all of a sudden does a great job handling
the ball in. Then he missed quite a bit of time and now it looks like quite a bit of pitches are away from him, where he's using the other side of the field more frequently.

"If pitchers do choose to pitch him in, there's the ability to turn on the ball, for sure. So I'm not overly concerned with the home run power.
What we don't want him to do is start to sacrifice everything just to hit a few home runs.''