Sox give good news on health of some players

Sox give good news on health of some players
March 6, 2012, 2:01 am
Share This Post

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The news on Carl Crawford -- advised to cease swinging and throwing for the next 5-7 days -- may not have been as encouraging as the Red Sox wanted, but there were positive developments regarding the health of other players Monday.

Daniel Bard, who experienced some back stiffness after he threw an inning in a "B" game last Thursday.

"Bard's fine," said manager Bobby Valentine.

He's scheduled to throw two innings against Baltimore at JetBlue Park in his official Grapefruit League debut.

Andrew Bailey, who had a lat pull 10 days ago after participating in a vertical leap drill, threw "with no ill effects," said Valentine.

"The report that we got is that he's fine," said Valentine.

Bailey will throw in a game for the first time later this week.

Aaron Cook and Ross Ohlendorf, two free agents who are bidding for the fifth starter's spot but were restricted earlier in camp, are nearing game action.

"It will be sometime after (March) 9th," said Valentine. "They're closing in on it."