Sox don't have an obvious choice at leadoff

744260.jpg

Sox don't have an obvious choice at leadoff

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. Despite being second in the major leagues in runs scored only the powerhouse Texas Rangers have scored more the Red Sox haven't solved the issue of who should be their leadoff hitter.

With Jacoby Ellsbury (shoulder) out for at least another month, the Sox have experimented with a number of choices, none of which have been successful for an extended period of time.

Shortstop Mike Aviles was the early choice to hit first after Ellsbury went down, but his on-base percentage has dropped to .292.

"I think Mike's a good offensive player," said Bobby Valentine, "and in a perfect world, could be batting in a lot of places in our lineup and being productive. But I don't know that first is the one (spot) I would choose first."

More recently, Valentine has utilized Ryan Sweeney against righthanders, but Sweeney, who had been successful at the plate while hitting lower in the order, has slumped of late. Sweeney was just 4-for-23 on the recent homestand, and hitting at the top of the order, has just five hits in 26 at-bats for a .192 batting average and an OBP of .222.

By contrast, Sweeney is hitting .355 (32-for-90) in all other spots in the batting order.

"I'm not sure he's totally comfortable in the leadoff spot," said Valentine, "and I'm not totally comfortable putting him there."

Asked if was mulling other options to hit leadoff, Valentine said: "Every minute . . . yeah."

Outfielder Daniel Nava, who has a .708 OBP in just six games, is one of the candidates being considered. He's reached base in 17 of his 24 plate appearances since being promoted last week.

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.  

Report: Bradley Jr. avoids arbitration, agrees to 1-year, $3.6M deal with Red Sox

Report: Bradley Jr. avoids arbitration, agrees to 1-year, $3.6M deal with Red Sox

Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with the team, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported.

Bradley, who turns 27 April 19, had his best season in 2016, hitting .267 with 26 homers and a league-best 29-game hitting streak. He also won his first Gold Glove. A Scott Boras client, Bradley isn’t eligible for free agency until 2020. 
 
Friday at 1 p.m. was the deadline to reach deals to avoid arbitration. 

Other arbitration-eligible Red Sox are infielders Xander Bogaerts and Brock Holt, left-handers Drew Pomeranz and Fernando Abad, right-handers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross and Tyler Thornburg and catcher Sandy Leon.