Sox deny Yanks' request to speak with bullpen coach Tuck

601916.jpg

Sox deny Yanks' request to speak with bullpen coach Tuck

BOSTON -- In another sign that the Red Sox are intent on having many of their current coaches under contract return in 2012 under new manager Bobby Valentine, the club recently rebuffed an attempt by the New York Yankees to speak with bullpen coach-catching instructor Gary Tuck.

Two baseball sources said the Yankees approached the Sox about speaking to Tuck, with an idea of making him Joe Girardi's bench coach. Tuck served that same role in 2006, Girardi's lone season as manager of the Florida Marlins.

Tuck has been on the Red Sox coaching staff since 2007 and has drawn raves for his work with the team's catchers. Previously, he worked in the Yankees' organization -- as a major-league coach and minor-league instructor -- for three different stints.

It's unclear what the Yanks' interest in Tuck for the position of bench coach means for Tony Pena, who has served in that role for the Yankees since 2009.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.