Sox, Cubs get extension on Theo talks

569716.jpg

Sox, Cubs get extension on Theo talks

BOSTON -- At this rate, the 2012 season may start before the Cubs and Red Sox decide the proper compensation for general manager Theo Epstein.

General manager Ben Cherington revealed Wednesday that the two teams asked for and were granted a one-week extension to determine who the Cubs will send the Red Sox in exchange for Epstein leaving with a year remaining on his contract.

"With the managerial searches and whatnot," explained Cherington, "we just haven't had a lot of time to spend on it. We'll get a little more time and hopefully have more time to talk a little bit about it. It was mutually agreed upon that we'd give ourselves at least another week before we turn it over (to the commissoner's office).

"If we don't have something in a week, we'll revisit and decide whether it makes sense to revisit it and extend it further. But right now, it's at least another week."

Commissioner Bud Selig had given the two clubs an informal deadline of Nov. 1 to settle the compensation issue. Without an agreement, the plan had been for the clubs to each state their respective cases to Selig, who would then make a final determination on the proper compensation.

Part of the problem, Cherington conceded, is that there haven't been a lot of similar cases from which to draw precedent.

Sandoval 'starting from scratch' after career had 'fallen into an abyss'

Sandoval 'starting from scratch' after career had 'fallen into an abyss'

The Pablo Sandoval redemption tour is underway as the former World Series MVP tries to revive his career after two disastrous seasons with the Red Sox organization.

In an interview with ESPN Deportes, he admits to being “complacent” during his first two seasons in Boston after signing a five-year, $95 million deal. 

"My career had fallen into an abyss because I was so complacent with things that I had already accomplished," Sandoval said. "I did not work hard in order to achieve more and to remain at the level of the player that I am and that I can be."

After dealing Travis Shaw to the Brewers, Sandoval is expected to be the Red Sox primary third baseman in 2017.

"I am not taking anything for granted," he said. "I am here to work hard. I'm not thinking about the position or not. I am starting from scratch, and I am here to show what I can do on the field."

The 30-year-old says he’s following a “really strict routine” this offseason, and it shows. In a recent photo, Sandoval appears noticeably thinner. Sandoval says his wife giving birth to “Baby Panda” has served as inspiration.

"Watching 'Baby Panda' grow up and that he gets the opportunity to see his father play in the majors for seven, eight more years, to get back to the success I had, that's my motivation every day," Sandoval said. "The people that I surround myself with now and my family, they are the key to my success. This has been a life lesson."

Tanguay: Could Red Sox ownership be going for it now, then sell the team?

Tanguay: Could Red Sox ownership be going for it now, then sell the team?

Could John Henry sell ownership of the Boston Red Sox anytime soon, or does he want to keep winning?  Shaughnessy, Merloni, and Tanguay debate.