FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Scratch one candidate from the crowded competition for the No. 5 starter's spot.
Carlos Silva, one of a handful of veterans signed to minor league deals with spring training invites, has been shut down for the foreseeable future because of right shoulder inflammation, according to manager Bobby Valentine.
Silva had been scheduled to start Wednesday in Dunedin against the Toronto Blue Jays, but his name was removed from the travel roster.
"Silva has some shoulder inflammation that's probably going to set him back enough that he won't be totally in the mix,'' said Valentine. "(He'll be out) long enough to keep him out of the big picture situation.''
Valentine said the Sox knew that Silva had some shoulder issues before coming to camp.
"It flared up here,'' said Valentine. "I think we know exactly what it is and we were hoping that it wouldn't occur as quickly, present itself as quickly as it did.''
Silva's injury still leaves more than a half-dozen candidates for the role of fifth starter, including Alfredo Aceves, Andrew Miller, Felix Doubront, Aaron Cook, Ross Ohlendorf and Vicente Padilla.