Salty back in lineup after receiving 12 stitches

767622.jpg

Salty back in lineup after receiving 12 stitches

PHILADELPHIA -- In a startling recovery, catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia will be back in the starting lineup Saturday, less than 24 hours after he took a ball of his left ear which
required 12 stitches.

"Salty checked out well at the hospital (Friday) night,'' said manager Bobby Valentine. "He texted me as soon as it was over and told me he was ready to go as soon as he got clearance.But we waited until he came out today. When he got into the trainer's
room, the trainers gave him the green light."

"He's got some stitches, but there were no problems with the head or the eyes or things you might worry about when it's a blow to the head.''

Saltalamacchia wasn't concerned about suffering a concussion of being struck.

"I didn't have any symptoms,'' he said. "The biggest thing they were worried about was a fracture (behind the ear). But the CT-scan showed nothing.''

Saltalamacchia watched replay of the play later and was astounded by the path the ball took to get to him.

"It was amazing,'' he said. "Usually, when you throw the ball in, you kind of flinch away, just so the backswing doesn't hit you. That's kind of what I did and it hit his forearm, then perfectly hit my forearm and went right to the ear.''
Saltalamacchia briefly considered using the goalie-style catching mask to offer better protection, but ultimately chose to stay with his own mask.

"I used it in high school,'' said Saltalamacchia of the goalie mask. "But they're heavy and after foul boul after foul ball, they're loud. I stopped using it because they're so damn
loud. But it would have stopped me from getting hurt (Friday) night, that's for sure.''

Red Sox will be in attendance for Lincecum showcase

giants_tim_lincecum_071313.jpg

Red Sox will be in attendance for Lincecum showcase

CHICAGO -- Along with 20 or so other teams, the Red Sox will be in attendance Friday when former San Francisco Giants righthander Tim Lincecum throws in Scottsdale, Az. in a showcase for scouts and talent evaluators.

Indications are, however, that the Sox are merely doing their due diligence in attending the workout. It's unclear how highly they regard the 31-year-old pitcher, or what role they would envision for him.

Lincecum was a free agent last winter, but attracted little attention and spent most of the winter and early spring refining his mechanics, gearing toward this week's showcase.

Lincecum was the National League Cy Young Award winner in 2008 and 2009 and an All-Star in 2010 and 2011, but from 2012 through last year, his performance dipped considerably, with a won-loss record of 39-42 and an ERA of 4.68.

He pitched out of the bullpen some in 2014 and last season was limited to just 15 starts.

The Sox are waiting on Eduardo Rodriguez and Joe Kelly to return from injuries and have Henry Owens in the rotation currently. Additionally, Brian Johnson and Roenis Elias are depth options in Pawtucket.

 

Dombrowski: Sandoval 'committed to getting ready' for 2017 after successful surgery

pabloeverplay5031462317847111_3450k_1280x720_678825539886.jpg

Dombrowski: Sandoval 'committed to getting ready' for 2017 after successful surgery

CHICAGO -- Pablo Sandoval's second season with the Red Sox is officially over, almost before it began.

Sandoval, who appeared in just three games in April after losing the starting third baseman's job to Travis Shaw in spring training, underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder Tuesday and won't return until 2017.

"Dr. (James) Andrews (who performed the procedure) said the surgery went well,'' said Dave Dombrowski, "as well as can be expected. I talked to Pablo myself already today, talked to his representative Rick Thurman. Pablo's happy that they've been able to fix the problem and committed to getting ready for next year.''

Andrews told Dombrowski that in a best-case scenario with "everything going perfectly right, maybe he could be ready (to play) in six months,'' taking his recovery into November.

Sandoval was bothered in the past by labrum issues, and they appear to have worsened over time, though no one with the Red Sox can pinpoint an incident or specific time when Sandoval aggravated the condition further.

"It happens,'' said Dombrowski. "I don't really know what happened that one day he woke up and couldn't lift up his shoulder. But that was really the first indication that we had that he was hurting.''

"Even after the onset of the injury,'' said John Farrell, "Pablo and I had some conversations daily. . . There was a play in Toronto (in the first week of the season) when he dove to the (foul) line and saved a run. Whether the impact there moved along the injury, that's a possibility. Even in conversations with him, there was not one event that he could recall.''

Dombrowski said Sandoval will return to Boston soon, where his girlfriend is due to deliver a baby in the next few weeks. After that, Sandoval will return to Florida, though it's undecided whether he will be based in Miami, where he lives in the off-season, or at the Red Sox spring training facility in Fort Myers.

Dombrowski said that while an exact rehab plan has yet to be put together, the Red Sox "will have our eyes on him on a continual basis. But I can't say that someone (from the organization) will be there all the time, but quite regularly.''

Asked if the time off might enable Sandoval to address some conditioning issues, Dombrowski said: "He already has. I'm not going to give you specific (numbers), but he already has dropped weight during the season, once he's been under our care on a daily basis. I think he's committed to doing that, we're committed to doing that. We'll have a very thorough program to address a lot of different issues between now and next season.''

Left unanswered is how Sandoval can contribute to the Red Sox in the three remaining years left on his five-year, $95 million deal.

"Everybody keeps asking me about 2017,'' said Dombrowski. '' 'What are you going to do when David retires?' My response is, let's go through 2016 and then we'll worry about that in the winter time.''

 

Red Sox activate reliever Carson Smith off disbled list

calledupcarson503_1280x720_678824515698.jpg

Red Sox activate reliever Carson Smith off disbled list

The Red Sox get a much needed boost to their bullpen as they begin their road trip through Chicago and New York. They have activated right-handed pitcher Carson Smith off the disabled list.

Smith was placed on the 15-day DL on April 3 (retroactive to March 25) with a right flexor strain suffered in spring training. He made two rehab appearances with the Portland Sea Dogs, retiring all five batters over 1.2 innings of work, striking out two in the process.

This is Smith’s first season with the Red Sox after being acquired in a traded with the Seattle Mariners in December.

In 79 major league games from 2014-15, the right-hander went 3-5 with 13 saves, a 2.07 ERA (18 ER), and 102 strikeouts in 78.1 innings pitched (11.7 SO/9.0 IP). Smith set Mariners reliever records for the most scoreless appearances (20) and most scoreless innings (19.1) to begin a major league career.

To make room on the 25-man roster, infielder Marco Hernandez was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket following Sunday night’s game against the New York Yankees.