RHP Beato called up from Pawtucket


RHP Beato called up from Pawtucket

BOSTON -- The Sox bullpen covered six innings in Saturdays game, leaving Valentine somewhat shortened there today. Right-hander Pedro Beato was called up from Pawtucket as reinforcement. Beato, acquired from the Mets earlier this month for catcher Kelly Shoppach, has appeared in seven major league games, spanning 4 13 innings, for the Mets this season. With Pawtucket, he has appeared in two games, spanning three innings, allowing no runs on one hit and one walk with six strikeouts. He last pitched on Friday at Charlotte.

The reason we brought up Pedro was to make sure our bullpen was all right and we were going to throw Franklin Morales back there just in case and decided thats not the thing to do, Valentine said. So I think were all right. We have four guys who are able to go. That should be fine. Again, the only question is what were getting out of Felix because we havent seen him in two weeks.

Valentine will try to avoid using Andrew Bailey, who has pitched three straight days and has made six appearances since making his season debut on Aug. 14. He will also try to stay away from Vicente Padilla, who has also appeared in three consecutive games and four of the last five.

Alfredo Aceves, who was suspended by the team before Saturday's game, will not be available until Tuesday. It is highly unusual for a team to suspend one of its own players. The last player suspended by the Sox was Jim Rice who was docked three games in July 1988 after a shoving incident with manager Joe Morgan.

Valentine, while remaining tight-lipped on Aceves situation, acknowledged the situation is unusual.

I think so, Valentine said. This is an unusual situation.

The Red Sox pitching staff will get another arm thrown into the mix on Monday as Daisuke Matsuzaka is expected to be activated.

Ortiz wins Hank Aaron Award as top hitter in American League


Ortiz wins Hank Aaron Award as top hitter in American League

CLEVELAND -- David Ortiz is heading into retirement with some more hardware.

The Boston Red Sox slugger captured the Hank Aaron Award on Wednesday as the top hitter in the American League this season. Budding Chicago Cubs star Kris Bryant was honored as the top hitter in the National League.

The award was presented before Game 2 of the World Series between the Cubs and Cleveland. It was determined through a combination of fan voting and a panel that includes Aaron and other Hall of Fame players.

The 40-year-old Ortiz hit .315 with 38 home runs, 127 RBIs and 48 doubles in the 20th and final season of his major league career. His 541 career home runs rank 17th all-time.

The 24-year-old Bryant hit .292 with 39 home runs and 102 RBIs while helping the Cubs cruise to the NL Central title and eventually a spot in the World Series. Shortly after being honored, Bryant singled in the first inning for his first Series hit.