Report: Middlebrooks has broken wrist

841949.jpg

Report: Middlebrooks has broken wrist

CLEVELAND It certainly didnt look good when Will Middlebrooks took a 95-MPH fastball squarely off the outside of his right wrist in the ninth inning Friday night against the Cleveland Indians.

Peter Abraham reports that the results of the X-rays reveal Middlebrooks has a broken wrist. There's no word yet on how long Middlebrooks will be out, but with only seven weeks left in the season, it doesn't look like he'll return this year. Abraham also reports the Sox have called up Danny Valencia for Saturday.

Middlebrooks wrist immediately went limp as he doubled over in pain, and he was replaced by pinch-runner Nick Punto. Sox manager Bobby Valentine said Middlebrooks was due to get some X-rays at a nearby hospital following the game. The rookie third baseman was still in the locker room following the game, but couldnt open the door to the trainers room with his injured hand and instead needed David Ortiz to do it for him.

Valentine was hoping the ball hit Middlebrooks more in the soft area of the wrist but the sound told a different story.

I was hoping it was going to be a little more down on the meat, but this was right on the bone.

Middlebrooks was 0-for-3 in Friday nights win before leaving the game with the possible wrist injury, and he is yet another in a long line of Sox injuries plaguing the team this year.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.