Red Sox remember Beane

758440.jpg

Red Sox remember Beane

KANSAS CITY The Red Sox expressed their grief over the passing Wednesday of long-time public address announcer Carl Beane, who was killed in a one-car accident.

"We are filled with sadness at this tragic news," said Red Sox President and CEO Larry Lucchino in a statement released by the club. "No one loved his role with the Red Sox more than Carl did his. He adored the opportunity to pay homage each game to Sherm Feller, and to contribute to the culture of Fenway Park, a place he loved passionately. His legion of friends with the Red Sox and the media will miss him enormously, and all of Red Sox Nation will remember his presence, his warmth, and his voice.

"On behalf of John Henry, Tom Werner, our partners, and our entire organization, we extend our deepest sympathies to his wife, Lorraine; his daughter, Nicole; and his granddaughters, Maddie and Gena."

Beane was the team's PA announcer since 2003, having won a competition to find the next voice of Fenway Park.

"I met him a few times," said Daniel Bard. "I didn't know him that well. It's terrible. It's a big loss for the Red Sox."

"As it turns out, the 100-year anniversary of Fenway was the last big event he did," said longtime radio announcer Joe Castiglione, "and he did it beautifully. This is a tremendous loss for Red Sox Nation."

Said David Ortiz: "Just sad news, you know. The unexpected. I never think about anyone passing away, it's just shocking. His voice was pretty unique. I'm pretty sure everyone's going to remember that forever . . . One way or another, all of us, we come to be a family: you guys as reporters, us as players, him as an announcer, everyone became a family here, a family member. When things like that go down, it hurts. It hurts. My prayers go out to his family."

A radio reporter from western Massachusetts, Beane provided updates for ESPN Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westwood One, Associated Press, and MetroNetworks, and also worked for various radio outlets in Massachusetts.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.