Quotes, notes and stars from the Boston Red Sox' 5-3 loss to the Atlanta Braves.
"When he's gotten in trouble, it's been a combination of location and pitches up in the strike zone. That was the case tonight. . . It's more general location than one pitch that he's getting burned on. '' - John Farrell on Clay Buchholz's poor start.
"No disrespect to (Jace) Peterson, but you're wanting to force contact. He hasn't hit for a high average.'' - Farrell on Buchholz walking No. 7 hitter Peterson three times.
"When do you walk guys, you do your best to try to minimize the damage and I didn't do a good enough job of that.'' - Buchholz, who saw Peterson come around to score twice after his three walks.
"It's frustrating when you can't put your finger on what you need to do it, and when you need to do it and why. All I can do right now is learn from it and get better in these next couple of days.'' - Buchholz.
"I didn't hear anything. The play was right in front of me, so I couldn't see him say anything. I just assumed I was out.'' - Xander Bogaerts, who was ruled safe at second on a force play by umpire Joe West, but believing he was out, came off the bag and was tagged out in the first inning.
* Clay Buchholz has allowed five earned runs in four of his five starts this season.
* Heath Hembree pitched multiple innings for the fourth time this season and remains unscored upon in them.
* Over the last eight games, Dustin Pedroia is hitting .436 (17-for-39) with nine extra-base hits.
* All three of Chris Young's hit off lefthanded pitchers this season have been doubles.
* Hanley Ramirez (three hits, two RBI) has driven in a run in each of his last four games and six of his last seven.
* The Sox have scored in the first inning in eight of the last nine games.
1) Nick Markakis
The Braves right fielder had a four hit night and knocked in three runs.
2) Jhoulys Chacin
Atlanta's starter wasn't overpowering, but he limited the Sox to two runs over five-plus innings and earned the victory.
3) Hanley Ramirez
Ramirez broke out a bit at the plate with three hits, while knocking in the first two Red Sox runs.