Red Sox now wait for Cook's decison on opt-out

748377.jpg

Red Sox now wait for Cook's decison on opt-out

BOSTON -- The Red Sox allowed the May 1 midnight deadline on minor league pitcher Aaron Cook to come and go without purchasing his contract, which, in effect, puts the ball in Cook's court.

Cook has 24 hours -- or, until midnight Wednesday -- to inform the Red Sox whether he'll choose to opt out of his current minor league deal and become a free agent.

If he chooses to do so, the Sox will then have an additional 48 hours from the time they're notified to either release Cook or add him to the 25-man major league roster.

The Sox have informed Cook and his agent, Joe Bick, that they intend to pitch Cook out of the bullpen, at least for the time being. Cook, meanwhile, would prefer to start.

It's possible that should Cook wait until midnight Wednesday to inform the Red Sox of his decision to opt-out, that the pitcher could remain in limbo until midnight Friday -- or 48 hours from notification -- before the issue is resolved.

In the meantime, the Red Sox optioned Lars Anderson to Pawtucket after the game, signaling that a pitcher to replace him on the roster will be by game-time Wednesday.

The Sox earlier Tuesday optioned Junichi Tazawa to Pawtucket to create room for the addition of shortstop Jose Iglesias. The Sox felt they needed an extra infielder available to them to Tuesday night with Kevin Youkilis (back) still unable to play.

Manager Bobby Valentine had Youkilis with a bat in his hand on the top step in the ninth inning, but Valentine later admitted that Youkilis was just a decoy and was unable to hit.

If Youkilis has to go on the disabled list, the Sox would presumably replace him with Will Middlebrooks, who is off to a terrific start at Pawtucket.

Middlebrooks would have gotten the call Tuesday rather than Iglesias, but he had jammed his thumb in at-bat Sunday and the Red Sox wanted him to prove that he was healthy at Pawtucket before promoting him to Boston.

Sandoval 'starting from scratch' after career had 'fallen into an abyss'

Sandoval 'starting from scratch' after career had 'fallen into an abyss'

The Pablo Sandoval redemption tour is underway as the former World Series MVP tries to revive his career after two disastrous seasons with the Red Sox organization.

In an interview with ESPN Deportes, he admits to being “complacent” during his first two seasons in Boston after signing a five-year, $95 million deal. 

"My career had fallen into an abyss because I was so complacent with things that I had already accomplished," Sandoval said. "I did not work hard in order to achieve more and to remain at the level of the player that I am and that I can be."

After dealing Travis Shaw to the Brewers, Sandoval is expected to be the Red Sox primary third baseman in 2017.

"I am not taking anything for granted," he said. "I am here to work hard. I'm not thinking about the position or not. I am starting from scratch, and I am here to show what I can do on the field."

The 30-year-old says he’s following a “really strict routine” this offseason, and it shows. In a recent photo, Sandoval appears noticeably thinner. Sandoval says his wife giving birth to “Baby Panda” has served as inspiration.

"Watching 'Baby Panda' grow up and that he gets the opportunity to see his father play in the majors for seven, eight more years, to get back to the success I had, that's my motivation every day," Sandoval said. "The people that I surround myself with now and my family, they are the key to my success. This has been a life lesson."

Tanguay: Could Red Sox ownership be going for it now, then sell the team?

Tanguay: Could Red Sox ownership be going for it now, then sell the team?

Could John Henry sell ownership of the Boston Red Sox anytime soon, or does he want to keep winning?  Shaughnessy, Merloni, and Tanguay debate.